Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING 2219 ALUM X-RAY QUALITY
- - By QUICKSAND Date 11-03-2004 18:17
I HAVE A PART IN OUR SHOP THAT IS MADE OF 2219-T4 MATERIAL BUTT WELDS .07 THICK WELDED TO .125 THICK THE PART IS A FABRICATED SCROLL WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR ARE ANY TIPS AND TRICKS TO WELDING 2219 ALUM. AND PREFERED CLEANING METHODS AND ETCHANTS THAT WORK WELL ON THIS MAT'L.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-03-2004 20:29

Here is some general info and filler recommendation.
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/2219.asp#General

Here is some good data from an aws abstract, It will give you a few things to consider, especially if you are fabricating with heavy restraining fixtures and are worried about liquation cracking in 2219s sensitive HAZ.
http://www.aws.org/conferences/abstracts/2003/04c.pdf

This is what NASA says about 2219. My guess is that they were working with thick sections or long welds and thats why they choose DCEN and helium. It may be the way to go to reduce your heat effected zone and the associated suseptablity to corrosion/liquation cracking. But I don't see anything wrong with some trials with AC especially if you have an Asymmetric power source.
http://klabs.org/DEI/References/design_guidelines/design_series/1205msfc.pdf
Parent - - By QUICKSAND Date 11-03-2004 22:38
THANKS FOR THE INFO WE HAVE BEEN RUNNING TEST PLATES AC 25/75 HELIUM\ARGON AND DCEN STRAIGHT HELIUM WITH LIMMITED SUCCESS SO FAR WE HAVE THE CRACKING UNDER CONTROL BUT ARE EXPERIENCING POROSITY IN A LINEAR PATTERN DOWN THE CENTER OF THE WELD WHICH I BELIEVE IS DIRT (CRAP) IN THE WELD. WE HAVE BEEN CLEANING THE PLATES IN OAKITE 160 ETCH (SODIUM HYDROXIDE) I AM LEANING TO BELIEVE THIS MAY NOT BE ADEQUATE. IF ANYONE KNOWS A BETTE ETCH SOLUTION I'D LIKE TO TRY IT. I AM GOING TO TRY SANDING THE WELD AREA WITH ALUM OXIDE DISCS ON A 90 DEG ANGLE GRINDER AND POSSIBLY SCRAPING BY HAND IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS I'M ALL EARS
THANKS FOR THE INPUT
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-04-2004 01:26

Your on the right track,

I like the 1 1/2 inch alum oxide disks 80 or 120 grit depending on how thick your sections. 3M has some super tough scotch brite pads that remove very little surface also.

Make sure that you not only prep your edge tops but also the faces (sheared area) as sometimes a dull shear will leave rough edges that pick up contaminants.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-04-2004 02:20
The 2xxx group of aluminum alloys contain copper additions and are age hardenable. As heat is applied, the copper precipitates will increase the hardness and strength of the base metal. This age-hardening can also occur at room temnperature over long periods of time. 2219 contains about 6% copper and this is probably the source of your indications down the center of the weld and previous cracking problems. We used to use carbide burring bits and wheels with a coarse cut for aluminum to prepare welds with success. Wire wheels, flapper wheels and sanding discs tend to smear the surface and capture oxides under the smeared metal unless only light pressure is used. ER4145 is recommended for best success on 2219, but ER4043 and ER2319 can also be used.
Parent - By QUICKSAND Date 11-04-2004 13:06
THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS, IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE SOME MORE SAMPLES TO RUN. WE MAY PULL THIS OFF YET......
THANKS
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING 2219 ALUM X-RAY QUALITY