Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ?? Trying to start welding
- - By shorty7874 Date 11-04-2004 01:25
Ok im new to the whole feild of welding. I would like to learn how and be certified if that is neccessary. I have been interested in welding for a while but havent looked into it. There are no welding classes in my high school but i want to learn how. Can anyone guide me on what to do?

Thanks,
Josh
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 11-04-2004 02:40
Hey Josh,
You should get with your school's guidence counselor and have that person help you look up what community colleges or other trade schools in your area. Maybe, your parent(s) could help as well.
I have been in the welding field for over 20 years and I have thoroughly enjoyed my continuing education in the craft.
You should know however, that this is a dangerous profession. Fumes and smoke from arc welding ARE carcinogetic. Heat and the physical effort of welding also takes it's toll on a body.
If you are interested in becoming a welder, you should try it out first to see if it really is something you want to be doing for a long time.
You may know already that there are several different types of welding:stick welding(SMAW), mig welding(GMAW) or tig welding (GTAW) to name a few. Each requires more or less effort to learn.
Welding careers are different as well as the amount of money you can earn. Typically, fabrication shops which employ alot of welders do not earn as much money as heavy construction (pipe welders or iron welders)....the trade-off being you have to move to different job sites and you spend alot of time away from home.
I am a part-time welding instructor as well as a full-time welder. It is a demanding job (welding) but I have worked with metal all my life and it's what I do to provide for my family.
I would have invested more into getting a college degree than learning any trade knowing what I know now, just because this Trade is (or can be) physically demanding and damaging to a person. It is also highly competitive where those who out perform other welders both quality and productively....stay employed.
Try it out alittle before really decide it is what you want to do with your Life. If you liked it, than learn more processes.....if you don't like it.....you didn't invest in it too much and will be able to try something else. If you do decide to stay with it....welding can (and is) a rewarding way to make a living.
Best to you.
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 11-04-2004 18:22
Check with your local community college campuses. You may be able to take welding there even though you are still in highschool. Look for government run occupational training programs in your area, too.

While you are still in highschool, make sure you pick up good math skills, at least through geometry. Learn blueprint reading if you can. "Welders are a dime a dozen" is an often repeated phrase from employers. If you know to do more than just weld you stand a better chance of staying employed when there is no welding to do.
Parent - By Golden 2004 Date 12-01-2004 01:05
I aggee with Malcolm 100%. You should consider going to a apprentice program in a major shipyard or fab shop. I've learned about every welding diciple and mastered them at age 32 including robotics. I've learned them from asking questions, hands-on and listening to experienced welders who pass the trade. I've passed my trade on to students right out of trade school, and they're journeyman pipewelders now. It's a good feeling! Most companies want a diverse welder these days! IE: Good math skills, able to fit, read prints, solve problems and handle other tasks besides just being under a hood. GOOD LUCK!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ?? Trying to start welding