Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum casting weld repair
- - By jer (**) Date 11-06-2004 02:24
I have welded many of these and use 4043 rod. I at times sand blast area and then heat to around 400 or so. Now when I go to weld some castings there are more contaminates in material and at times porous also. Recently did some small engine castings which were terrible, I had to grind out twice and reweld area.

I have heard of boiling the casting in a solution first. My question is what is the solution? How long to keep in ? etc... Any info appreciated.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-06-2004 13:21
Hi jer,

Aluminum and its alloys rapidly develop a self limiting oxide surface film upon exposure to air. The melting point of this oxide is above 3600 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 2400 degrees Fahrenheit above the melting point of aluminum. This oxide film can prevent fusion between the filler metal and base metal, or flakes of oxide or dross may become entrapped within the weld metal, reducing the ductility of the weld. Therefore, welding should be done as soon as possible after cleaning. If you are attempting to remove oxides, you could immerse the castings in a strong alkaline solution, then water, then nitric acid, and finish with a water rinse. There are also several other options regarding solutions. Incidently, die castings tend to retain dissolved gases. Such castings are difficult to weld because these gases are released by the welding heat and erupt through the weld pool, and most likely will cause the welds to be porous. Are you repairing these castings?
Parent - - By jer (**) Date 11-07-2004 01:27
Hi SWNORRIS, Yes I weld these a fair amount of the time. I own a welding shop where I do tool welding, repair welding and custom fabrication. I do weld many of these aluminum castings along with boats, skegs, etc.. When I weld any casting or old aluminum its a two step welding project, maybe three step. I will clean with solvents, sandblast part and heat in my oven up to around 400- 500 degrees. I have welded many old aluminum & cast iron Harley Davidson castings which weld fairly well, for a local Harley restorer in my area.

During welding I'll see the black junk develop on top and wire brush it off and sometimes there's the need to even grind down the weld area, I'll also change tungsten often for it gets contaminated easily during the first weld attempt. In most situations I am able to cover area good during the second welding attempt.

I have welded many boats also and they are a pain in the but just like a casting is.

What I am wondering is if there is a solution I could make up and boil the casting in prior to welding to bring out any and all oil or etc.... Just this week I did 5 different aluminum castings and all of them like the last 50 I did during the past year needed the same two step welding process. My process is 1st cleaning , 2nd sandblasting, 3rd pre-heating, 4th welding, 5th deburring some of the weld out, and 6th welding again. I even had 2 last week that I had to grind twice and weld 3 times on to achieve a satisfactory weld area.

I have tried 2%, pure, zirconiated or ceriated can't remember which one I have tungsten box marked at shop. I ;ve tried 3/32, 1/8" diameter I have also tried varying my heat input.

Bottom line, I always say welding an aluminum casting is a 2 or 3 step welding process, so if anybody has some tricks they do I'd love to hear them. By the way what temp. does aluminum melt at.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 11-07-2004 07:05
About 660 C or 1220 F for pure aluminum. Alloying agents will change that.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum casting weld repair