Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71T-GS
- - By UCSB (**) Date 11-09-2004 18:56
Has anyone come across this fluxcored wire in a structural application.
The erection company started using it for tack welds and threw a fit when I asked them to remove it from the project site. It's excluded from AWS D1.1 pre-qualified procedures, and not listed on any of their procedures. This is the first time I've come across this material.

Roger

Parent - By rhoople47 (**) Date 11-09-2004 20:08
Rog,

You were right in pulling that from the site, untill you find out more. Do you have a copy of the AWS A5.29:1998 on hand? If you do check out table 1 note b (Properties as agreed upon between supplier and purchaser) what ever that meens. Also, check out paragraph A7.8 in the fore mentioned standard. I have yet to see this wire myself, must be cheaper!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-09-2004 22:14
What is the brand name and who makes that wire?
Chet Guilford
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 11-09-2004 22:22
Chet-
Another new one- it was made by Pinnacle Alloys.

Roger
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-09-2004 23:10
Here is a link to a thread right here in this forum that explores your question.
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5226#24045
(I got taken to school on this one :)

An important part of that post says; "A7.16 EXXT-GS Classification. This classification is for single-pass electrodes that are not covered by any presently defined classification. Except for the tensile strength, which is specified, the requirements for this classification are not specified; they are agreed upon by the purchaser and supplier."

If it's single pass and your rolling over tacks than its a bad.

You are right to hold it out until finding out what "Pinnacle" has done with it's own particular brew of E71T-GS

We have the Corex version of the stuff (E71T-GS) in a little Hobart Handler 110. The Corex is awsome in the 110. We even did trials just for fun and it passed root bends but pretty consistantly failed face bends. Pretty much as advertised.. no multi pass.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71T-GS