Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Finishing of Welds
- - By domesticthai (*) Date 11-11-2004 06:26
How I would like to know that weld may be mechanically finished in root side with out x-ray, So that we can do it or not.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-11-2004 08:46
Can you be more specific please?
Parent - - By domesticthai (*) Date 11-14-2004 07:53
If the weld root or drop thru is over spec when finished weld, how I know that can be remove it or not.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-14-2004 09:05
What code are you working to?
Parent - - By domesticthai (*) Date 11-14-2004 09:14
The aircraft specification of GE (P8TF3) but I don't know what is code in AWS.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-14-2004 09:59
Since this is an aircraft application, I would consult with your engineering department and ask them.
If this is an aircraft spec, I don't see where AWS would be applicable.
I suggest you ask your engineering department.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-14-2004 13:15

GE has it's own standard practices manual for aerospace welding so they are the first folks to approach.

GE also has specific repair doccumentation for any item or family of items that can be weld repaired and these doccuments will have the servicable limits and dimensions allowed for melt thru etc.

AWS D17.1 is the American Welding Society spec on aerospace fusion welding and GE has representatives sitting on that committe.

The AWS spec may or may not relate directly to the GE paperwork at this point. The best advice is to secure the part number and get the GE repair specification for your specific tube, duct or structure.

If your working on GE flight hardware and you don't have the specific repair spec on hand your likely in violation anyway.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 11-14-2004 20:29
domestic:
There are several items to be considered:
1.) Is this an in-process correction, repair or rework?
(These typically determine the course of corrective action.)

2.) Does the GE spec. reference D17.1 specifically?
(Do not consider other AWS, AMS, MIL-STD's, etc. if not part of the GE criteria.)

3.) If D17.1 is referenced, has the criteria modified?
(Raytheon, Boeing, etc. all reference D17.1, but the criteria is often modified and tailored to their specific requirements.)

If your not sure, I would inquire to the Engineeing Authority or its designee. If additional info is posted, you may get the help you need from the forum.
Parent - By domesticthai (*) Date 11-15-2004 07:48
DGXL :
This is the rework and should be reference D17.1 specifically but I not sure for criteria modifile of D17.1 ,Cos I'm quality inspector for all assembly component parts such as bracket, tube manifold,link is not directly for welding inspector,My location in thailand,I would be learn more with you,Can you help me please ?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-15-2004 13:09
While D17.1 is an Aerospace welding specification and has a "small" section covering repair. It would not in your wildest dreams approach the comprehensiveness that General Electric provides in it's own specifications.

The big question here is; Why haven't you aquired the GE doccuments that will answer all your questions?

D17.1 cannot and will not be able to give you specific criteria conserning air flow or faying surfaces, nor will it determine stress relief requirements in inconel tubes. D17 delineates 3 visual inspection catagories for titanium weldments, has GE accepted this in your particular situation? Only GE can tell you these things.

Here in the states we work under the authority of the Federal Aviaition Administration (FAA), and *cannot* undertake repair of flight hardware without proper authorizing doccumentation. This doccumentation is provided or approved by the aircraft/engine manufacture and has all the control details necessary (most of the time). Being in Thailand you may not be bound by that mandate but I urge you to try to see the wisdom behind it.

Edit: This is one of the *two* paragraphs D17 devotes to repair.

AWS D17.1 2001
5.20.1 Repair Instructions.
The Engineering Authority or it's designee shall provide detailed instructions for the repair that include but are not limited to:
(1) allowed number of weld corrections during the repair
(2) required doccumentation
(3) Details for each operation (including acceptance inspection) involved in the repair.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Finishing of Welds