Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Certification
- - By rose.wire Date 11-13-2004 00:02
I am an employer and I had my welder certified about 4yrs ago to AWS D1.1. How long is his certification good for?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-13-2004 02:38
The welder would stillbe current provided he/she has welded with the process at least once every 6 mos. Documentation supporting that is useful.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-15-2004 18:12
Or has welded with at least one (1) qualified process in a six month period.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 11-15-2004 21:32
It has always been my interpretation that a welder needed to have welded using THE process that the welder is qualified for at least every six months to maintain currency in that process. For instance, in our shop we use 98% FCAW with very occasional use of SMAW (mostly when tacking and or more welding machines are needed than FCAW machines available). There are some instances where a welder will go on site and needs to have SMAW qualifications also. I currently have SMAW welds deposited by all SMAW qualified welders within every six months window to keep their certifications current. I document bi-monthly the welders that are current in our shop. If I understand the response of Brian, and, as I go back and read exactly what D1.1 says (4.1.3 ... "(1) the welder is not engaged in A [emphasis mine] given process of welding for which the welder or welding operator is qualified for a period exceeding six months" ...), it would seem that a welder qualified to weld SMAW need not burn a rod for years as long as he maintains his FCAW qualification current. The welder's qualification may be called into question if he starts welding SMAW and the welds are questionable. Am I interpreting the comments and code correctly now or are we stretching what the intention of the code by using only a single process to keep other processes current?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-15-2004 22:19
I read through that a couple of times myself. Each time I let preconcieved ideas tell me what it said. The word "given" causes my confusion. It reads a little different without that word.

the welder is not engaged in A process of welding for which the welder or welding operator is qualified for a period exceeding six months" ...),

ASME is much clearer
QW-322 Expiration and Renewal of
Qualification
QW-322.1 Expiration of Qualification. The performance
qualification of a welder or welding operator
shall be affected when one of the following conditions
occurs:
(a) When he has not welded with a process during
a period of 6 months or more, his qualifications for
that process shall expire; unless, within the six month
period, prior to his expiration of qualification,
(1) a welder has welded using a manual or semiautomatic
welding process which will maintain his quali-
fication for manual and semiautomatic welding with
that process;
(2) a welding operator has welded with a machine
or automatic welding process which will maintain his
qualification for machine and automatic welding with
that process.
(b) When there is a specific reason to question his
ability to make welds that meet the specification, the
qualifications which support the welding he is doing
shall be revoked. All other qualifications not questioned
remain in effect.

I'm gonna look around.
GA
Parent - - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 11-16-2004 12:59
IN OUR SHOP WE MAKE ALL WELDERS DO EACH PROCESS THEY ARE CERTIFIED IN, WITHIN THE SIX MONTH TIME PERIOD,TO KEEP THEIR CERTIFICATION. THAT IS MY INTERPRETATION OF THE CODE ANYWAY.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-16-2004 13:34
We keep a daily log on each man thats includes: Process, WPS, hours & associated job number.

Over kill I know but it's very impressive to customers & 3rd party inspectors. Answers some questions before they get asked and it works well with other job tracking processes we use.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-16-2004 18:09
Hi,

I agree with Gerald and Doug. Per D1.1, A welder's qualification remains in effect for six months beyond the date that the welder last used the process for which he was qualified, unless the welder's ability is questionable.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 12-16-2004 18:19
Hi all.

I just wanted to re-visit this topic.

If a welder is qualified in 2 processes, and during his employment only uses 1 process for 6 months continually, does their other qualification lapse?

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-17-2004 04:49
The way I read it in D1.1 is that the process qualified has to be used. That doesn't make it so.

Sec IX is different.

Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-17-2004 14:32
You are right Gerald. The welder must weld using each process he is qualified for within a maximum six month period or lose the qualification. The maximum time that lapses between welding with each process cannot exceed six months. I worked in a shop years ago, and was qualified in the SMAW process, 2G, unlimited thickness. I was eventually moved into a management position in the office, but I didn't want to lose my qualification. From the day I was transferred, I always kept a date on my calendar marked every 5 1/2 months ahead, so I would remember to go out to the shop and get QC to witness me stick welding something so that I wouldn't lose my certification.
Brian: The welder's other qualification lapses unless the welder uses that other process within six months from the last time he used it.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 12-20-2004 14:10
I agree with Gerald, etc. Previously, I always interpreted that one must use each process with no lapse exceeding 6 months and that is the way I will continue to interpet it. Nothing else makes sense.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-20-2004 15:43
It still boils down to what the employer will accept. A welder may have qualified to D1.1 many years ago, and have documentation of continuous service, but if the employer wants more current test papers, that's all that matters in those circumstances.
I've seen this situation lately, right now in fact, so just because AWS says the papers are still good, doesn't mean that they are of any value to the hiring contractor.

JTMcC.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-23-2007 05:19
thats right,my employer tests every applicant regardless of what certs they have,if they cant pass 3g with 1/16 fcaw they arent hired
Parent - - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-14-2005 15:22
The bottom line is as you quoted;
If a welder does not use a process "whatever they are" in a 6 month period. Their certs expire. SMAW does not qualify you to weld FCAW or vise versa. They are very different processes.
A given process means "any or all" processes.

Ask your self the question, Have I or they welded with this process in 6 months for each process you/they are qualified.
If the answer is no, guess what.

Hope this helps a little.
AWS / CWI
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-23-2007 12:31
The code may state that the certification expires if the welder hasn't used the process in a six-month period, inferring that the certification is valid indefinitely if the welder has used the process with no interruptions in excess of six months, many customers include provisions in the project specifications that are more reasonable and more logical.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-23-2007 15:06
you "infer" the code "implies"
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Certification