Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Performance Qualification Test
- - By peterbil (*) Date 11-18-2004 06:00
I just want to ask from you guys to help me interpret this sentence taken from QW-301.2 I quote "The performance qualification test shall be welded in accordance with qualified WPS, except that when performance qualification is done in accordance with a WPS that requires a preheat or PWHT, these may be omitted." Does this mean that I can omit performance qualification test when my WPS has preheat or PWHT?
I'm in the right place to ask, thanks in advance.

Cheers,

roger
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-18-2004 06:58
No! The welder must still qualify with a qualified WPS.

However, if the WPS requires preheat or PWHT, the welder can qualify with that WPS and not have meet the preheat or PWHT requirements of that particular WPS.

This is for welders performance qualification tests ONLY!

That means you cannot use that WPS for welder qualification on a production weld unless you do, in fact, meet the preheat and PWHT requirements.
Parent - By - Date 11-18-2004 14:21
NDT III is right on the mark. That simply means that if you use a WPS that requires preheat and/or PWHT for the purpose of testing a welder, you do not have to preheat or PWHT the welder's coupon. You must use a qualified WPS for welder testing.
Mankenberg
Parent - By peterbil (*) Date 11-19-2004 00:37
Thank you for that clarification this gave me a better understanding of qualification test for welders. Indeed AWS is very informative, I love this forum. Keep up the good works guys by providing technical people with technical information.

Roger
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Performance Qualification Test