Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Braze/Silver Solder????
- - By ropechoker Date 11-30-2004 04:32
I need to repair a cutting attachment. One of the tubes going to the head(tip) is leaking where it comes out of the valve body.I would guess the tube is stainless steel and the body is brass(or a brass alloy). What would be the best to use-silver solder- brass- a tin alloy- lead solder or what. Appreciate advise.
Fred Hardy
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-15-2004 03:13
Unfortunately the answer is whatever was used before. That may be difficult to find out although your welding supplies guy may have a repair service he can ask. I suggest that use of said repair service may be the best path to follow. Failing that, perhaps enough of the original material remains in the joint that just heating it until said material melts will repair it.
Bill
Parent - - By Bob Peaslee (*) Date 12-15-2004 15:30
Hi Fred

The AWS would like to bring you into 2004 and update your terms.
Silver Solder is an obsolete term that has been obsolete for many years. The proper term per AWS Specification A3.0:2001, Standard Welding Terms and Definitions is Brazing Filler Metal. This will bring you up to the 21 century. Thanks for your cooperation
Bob Peaslee
wall Colmonoy Corp.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-15-2004 18:38
Sidewall

Short Arc

Reverse Polarity

Root Gap

Penetration

The above are all considered "Non Standard" according to A3.0 Just like "silver braze" or "silver solder."

Are non standard terms now to be considered wrong? Are some non standard terms wronger than others? Maybe thats the case. When communication is unclear proper terms are critical.

The grammar police will be taking me out to the woodshed soon!

As far as the question goes.. Bills advice is sound. But my best guess is that your part is brazed (filler metal liquidus above 840 degrees F) rather than soldered (a filler metal liquidus below 840 Degrees F but above the solidus of the parent material)

Oops! "Parent Material" is also a non standard term; What I ment to say was "base metal" or "substrate"

If you are going to take Bills advice you might want to think about fluxing the joint liberally before you heat it. I'll let somebody else suggest a proper flux.

Think I'm going to take a break and read some Orwell :)
Parent - By ropechoker Date 12-17-2004 00:38
Thanks to all. Not surprised at the new terms,hell I am obsolete.Anyway I will try to get some filler material to stick.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Braze/Silver Solder????