Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Taking the Plunge CWI/CWE exam in March!
- - By Welder 42 (*) Date 12-02-2004 13:36
Taking the exam in march using API-1104.
Anyone with helpful hints or tricks?
I,ve been studying till my brain fries, but I guess I'm still a little gun shy on the hands on section.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-02-2004 13:57
Welder 42, Welcome to the forum. You are at the right place. This will get you started.....then ask away.

Here is a link to a question about the CWI examination using API 1104.
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=4004#16478

Here is link to some search results using the keywords "CWI exam":
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_search_x.pl

(Edit: that second link did'nt work...try certification board, CWI Exam, 999 & 100)

Some tips on the search page: select the appropiate board to search, enter a few keywords at first, change number of days to "999", change the number of posts to "100"
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 12-02-2004 17:51
Are you an AWS member and are you local to an AWS Section? Most sections have a library and in that library may be a copy of the series Welding Inspection Technology. Within that series there are sample exam questions keyed to each module. Excellent study material. I have three publications for sale listed on the forum now.

John Folk
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-03-2004 05:35
Here's an old post with test taking hints.
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5018#23002
Read the rest of the thread too.
Bill
Parent - By Welder 42 (*) Date 12-08-2004 15:56
Thanks for the link! There was alot of good advice.
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 12-09-2004 20:03
Fundamentals Section--buy or borrow a copy of AWS's Welding Inspection Technology. If you know what is in it, you will pass that section. If you have recently completed an AA degree in Welding Technology you should have no problem, too.

Open Book Code Section--read your code book from end to end as many times as you can so you know what kind of information is there, where it is, and what information is not there. For AWS D1.1 it also makes sense to tab you code in an intelligent manner to speed up finding things during the exam. But API-1104 is short enough that it may not help. IIRC about half of the pages in API-1104 are irrelevant to the exam. But someone who did that one could tell you better.

Hands on Inspection--know how to check, set and use a micrometer, and how to use a caliper, fillet weld gages, v-wac gage, etc. Practice measuring drilled fractional sized holes from 1/64" up to about 1/8" by 1/64's. Do some reading on nondestructive testing methods besides visual, including dye penetrant, magnetic particle, eddy current, x-ray, ultrasonic. Look at some radiographs so you know what they indicate. Get familiar with the little made up code the AWS sends you along with your confirmation letter. It is used during the test. If you haven't done much inspection, I would recommened you take that day of the AWS seminar. You get to use the tools on plastic reproductions of weld samples similar to the ones you will use on the test.
Parent - - By Welder 42 (*) Date 12-13-2004 14:49
Thanks for all the help guys!! I'm about as nervous as a cat!!!
I am going to the seminars so that might take the edge off things I hope!
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-13-2004 15:08
Welder 42,
The Seminar(s) is a very good tool to fine tune your knowledge, get in the frame of mind to take the examination and get some good interaction with others. Just a work of caution, be prepared BEFORE you go to the seminar. Too many people assume the seminar will give them all of the preparation necessary for the examination. I have never understood why AWS does not send the classroom manual (WIT) to students when they register, but they do not. It is issued the first day. The instructor will be covering several chapters each day and there will be huge reading assignments each night. If you can get your hands on one, by all means do so, read through it and take outline notes in a notebook. It will be so much easier for you to follow in the seminar.
Lastly, terms and definations are very important, since the questions are multiple choice.

Good Luck!
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-13-2004 15:15
Welder 42,

Just curious.....what study material are you using to prepare for the examination?
Parent - - By Welder 42 (*) Date 12-13-2004 15:51
Are you ready?
Welding Insp. Tech. w/ companion workbook
Visual Inspection Workshop
Hands-On Self Training
Guide for Visual examination of welds
API-1104 w/ an old companion workbook
Welding symbols and geometry workbook
Guide for NDT Examination
and I'll be taking the seminars in march!
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-13-2004 15:58
That should do! Again, good luck.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-14-2004 06:27
Hello welder 42
Is that your normal everyday cat or the one in a roomful of rocking chairs?
Good luck
Bill
Parent - - By Welder 42 (*) Date 12-14-2004 12:26
I'm talking about a cat living at a Nursing Home!!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-15-2004 03:40
That's pretty nervous. On a more serious note you have a lot of time to study. Knowledge builds confidence and that in turn helps control nervousness. Then the Zen master would say you need to channel the energy from the remaining nervousness into a better state of alertness when you take the test. To not be nervous at all would be unusual and probably not good.

Are you a Douglas Adams fan?
Bill
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-29-2004 06:03
Please, take this as no offense, but the most important aspects of taking the CWI exam are the ability to read and comprehend the questions, and to know where the information is located in the code book, regardless of the test code. Good luck, and let me know your results.
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 12-31-2004 05:01
You are smart in taking your exam in API 1104.

Keep in mind your CWI rating says you can inspect to many codes (ASME AI not included).

Api 1104 is less than 100 pages, aws D1.1, more than 400. Make your choice.

The only reason to take another code is if you have a compatible code that you work with every day, and are already very familiar with.

I probably missed it, but you did not say if you were taking the seminar. While expensive, it is good preparation. When I took the exam, there was very little on the test that was not covered in the seminar.

Do get the "Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors". Another expensive book, but if you have it down-passing should be no problem.
Get the latest edition as the exam likes to test you on the wierd welding symbol stuff.

Other tips....

Tab your codebook-time is your enemy.

If you have time at the end of the exam, go back - reread questions and confirm your answers in the codebook.

DEDICATE the week to seminar (if taking) and study. Don't cut the grass, clean the basement,go to the kids soccer game, whatever, etc.

Focus TOTALLY on your goal, and you WILL achieve it.

You are spending a great deal of money-so take every advantage, even if inconvenient. It's only a week.

Get a few of those taking the seminar/exam to sit after class a get a study group together to pound each other with questions.

Remember, there are right answers, wrong answers and AWS answers.

The AWS answers are occasionally in between.

You only get credit for the AWS answers. This is why the seminar is helpful-to get you in the AWS "mindset".

In the practical-everyone gets a serial numbered tool kit. Some are ok, many are junk. Check your toolkit closely. If it is junk-ask for another. You are paying good money here, you have that right. Don't be shy.

Test day is tough-6 hours. Bring your own ruler, magnifier and flashlite.
You may be able to use yours, or the may require you to use theirs.
Better to have it and not need it than not have and need it.

Eat light a day or two before the exam. Adjust your sleep schedule. Avoid turkey (can make you sleepy) and heavy meals. Avoid coffee/tea/caffeinated soft drinks because of the caffiene. The up and down of caffiene will cause you trouble. Do stay hydrated, though. Water and non-caffeinated stuff works best.

You have to go the distance here.

Remember-with some proper preparation-
YOU CAN and WILL DO THIS SUCCESSFULLY!!

Your test results will take 6 weeks to two months to come in.

I, and the rest of us here wish you the best of luck on your exam.

Do keep in touch if anymore questions come up. Don't be afraid to email me directly if something comes up. I don't get out on BBS as often as I would like.

Also their are many othe CWI on the BBS willing to help as well.

Let us know how you make out!

Hope this helps some.

Good Luck

brande

Parent - - By Welder 42 (*) Date 01-04-2005 16:04
Thanks guys for all the help!
I think the nervous thing is working out for the better....as far as studying!
I have a good many of ref. books and guides and plus I'm still about six weeks away.
My current study method is study like crazy for about four days and then I'll take a few off. over and over and OVER!
I think I'll do fine.....I hope
Believe me, I'll let all of you know how everything turns out.
thanks again, I've gotten a heap of help from you guys.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-14-2005 16:57
Hi Welder42
I took my original test on D1.1 before it was partially cleaned up in 96 and just recently completed my 9 year.
My keys were "as noted above" Tab your charts and Tables and learn the Index. The Table of Contents helps tremendously too.
Bottom line is pay super close attention to the notes in the Headers and Footers as they ALWAYS impact the section you need to go to. I can't stress that enough.

But its a cakewalk! lol

Good Luck
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Taking the Plunge CWI/CWE exam in March!