Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / need help!!!!
- - By j_ly5 Date 12-02-2004 14:26
Hey,
I am a final year engineering student and my project is on laser welding. However the brief has just changed and I am stuck for time. I now have to weld disimilar metals.

Does anyone have good reasons for welding stainless steel (austenite grade 304) and low carbon steel???

e.g. good corrosion resistance etc.etc

Thanks for any help recieved.
Parent - By welder53 (*) Date 12-20-2004 12:05
Sometimes welding Stainless Steel (S.S.) to Carbon Steel(C.S.) is necessary. For instance, there might be a S.S. valve that has to be installed in a pipe line, so therefore, the flanges should be S. S., but the pipe might remain C.S. Too weld S.S. to C.S., we would use E309 for SMAW or ER309, if it is GTAW process.
Parent - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 12-22-2004 02:46
We weld pipe that is SS on the ID and CS on the OD. We use it for replacing CS that is degraded from Flow Assisted Corrosion.

We use a product from KLAD. It use first explosion welded as plate and formed into piping and fittings. In the field it is installed using GTAW/SMAW 309L.

This might be an interesting project for you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / need help!!!!