Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder certification
- - By n5uzt (**) Date 12-03-2004 21:59
i was told that you can not certify on 6in pipe in 6g post. extra heavy wall say .120 to aws d1.1.04 it has to be api or asme ix.
this would be structual only no pressure or steam or oil.
is this so?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-04-2004 00:44
I don't understand what you are asking. I don't have a 04 D1-1 but the question seems a little unclear. Is this something that is a recent code change you are asking about?

There are provisions in D1.1 to certify to weld tubular products.

Gerald
Parent - By jfwi (*) Date 12-20-2004 17:30
The only restriction I can think of for the joint designation you mentioned is that the WPS can not be prequalified without backing or backgouging. If there is a WPQR for an open root 6G pipe test there should not be a problem. As for the API or ASME if you use the right processes the WPQR should full fill their requirement also.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-14-2005 16:41
Figure 4.4 of D1.1 shows- positions of test pipe or tubing for Groove Welds
View D Show the 6G position "Fixed"
The only question is are you welding T, K or Y joints? These usually require a restriction ring on the coupon for testing. Called 6GR.
.120 or schedule 120 isn't really considered heavy wall. When you get over 3/8" wall thickness your gettin there.

Figure 4.8 Detail B shows where the bend specimens are to be removed

6G qualifies you for all positions
The diameter and thickness qualifications are discussed in Table 4.9
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder certification