Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SNT-TC-1A passing score
- - By weber (*) Date 12-04-2004 11:19
Hi everybody.

I’ve recently had an exam for UT level II with following result:

General written 40 questions 94.87%
Specific written 30 question 86.66%
Practical 71%
Overall average 84.17%

I shocked when I saw “Unsuccessfully completed an examination in accordance with SNT-TC-1A guidelines (2001 edition) to ASNT level II for ultrasonic test.”
As I knew, passing score was 70% for each part and 80% for overall average.
What is wrong? And what is passing score according to SNT-TC-1A guidelines (2001 edition)?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-04-2004 14:39
weber:
Many companies' written practice may require any one of the following for certification:
1.) A passing score (in any one exam) to be >70%.
2.) A specific or key activity (e.g.: calibration) must be performed satisfactorily based upon the type of testing or flaws anticipated.
3.) Critical flaws were not detected during your practical that the company deems critical and may be encountered during testing.

These are just a few examples. My own written practice requires an 80% or better on all three exams (particularly on the practical) and so do many companies I have worked for in the past. This ensures a higher probability of detecting certain discontinuities.
Parent - - By weber (*) Date 12-04-2004 22:32
Thank you for your reply.
I've attended this course in TWI (The Welding Institute - England), and self employed.
If they are following a standard, they can not change minimum requirements. I don’t want to work for them. They have to follow SNT-TC-1A in this case, because (1) I don’t want to work for them. (2) They just told me the course is according to SNT-TC-1A.
What’s your idea?
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-05-2004 01:05
weber,

This was copied from the TWI website: "TWI provides employer-specific certification in accordance with SNT-TC-A1. The scheme involves a written practice for education, training, experience and examination requirements to be specified by the employer. TWI's ASNT Level 3 staff are available to assist employers and to administer examinations".

I'm looking at SNT-TC-1A 96A98. The 2001 may be different. At any rate 8.1(3) states: "Examinations administered for qualification should result in a passing composite grade of at least 80%, withh no individual examination having a passing grade less than 70%". (The composite is determined by averaging) 8.1(4) states: "When an examination is administered by an outside agency and the outside agency issues grades of pass or fail only, on a certified report, then the employer may accept the pass grade as 80% for that particular examination". 8.1(5) states: "The employer who purchases outside services is responsible for assuring that the examination services are in accordance with the employers written practice".

Remember that the SNT-TC-1A document in a recommended practice and is used as a guideline for employers to establish their own written practice. Did you provide them with your written practice and records of training, experience, previous examination results etc. when you hired them to provide these outside services?
Parent - - By weber (*) Date 12-05-2004 02:40
Thank you Thirdeye

They are very nice information. Unfortunately I didn’t know these before; and I just joined the course. So, what can I do now? Just waiting for another examination? Or do you think there can be a chance if I argue with them?
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-05-2004 05:46
weber:
The comments by thirdeye apply and are still applicable to the 2001 revision of the "Recommended Practice".

Not sure why an argument would be in order. Myself, I would strive to retest and concentrate on passing it the next time around. TWI is a well respected entity in the welding industry and I don't think they are out to dupe anyone.

I recommend further practice and study the required 30 days (8.9), then retest. I don't think you will meet anyone in this forum who has not failed a test of any type in their careers. Save yourself the frustration of a confrontation and focus your energy on passing the next time around.

Good luck on your next test. Post a reply in 30 days and let the forum know how you did.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-05-2004 17:29
weber,
I posted the excerpts above, to make the following points:
1. TWI acknowledges that employer specific certification requirements are to be specified by the employer.
2. The SNT-TC-1A document contains recommendations only, it is not a specification. It is not mandatory for an employers written practice to follow all of the recommendations in the SNT-TC-1A. (It should be noted that upon outside review of a written practice, areas that do not meet the recommendations of the document are usually not acceptable under most circumstances).
3. The SNT-TC-1A document recommends that a passing grade on individual examinations be not less than 70% with the composite grade being at least 80%.

DGXL points out that many written practices, including his, are stricter that the recommendations in the SNT-TC-1A document with respect to passing grades on examinations. Mine is as well. In addition my practical and specific examinations have been modified to focus more on the applications in my area(s) of NDT. If, for example, both DGXL and myself hired TWI to conduct NDT examinations on some prospective employees, both of our companies would submit copies of our written practice and examinations to TWI. TWI would review each written practice and would then certify each individual in accordance with the respective written practice.

It sounds like you are self employed, took some training from TWI and then followed with an examination. You are using them as your outside agency. Did they have a “model” written practice or do you have your own? Did they explain the examination criteria to you prior to taking the examinations?
Parent - By weber (*) Date 12-08-2004 11:45
Something which is inequitable is that they didn’t say anything about criteria and written practice. Any way, it seems that I have to pass another exam. Thanks to all friends for your information.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-05-2004 07:21
It does seem somewhat unfair that the required passing grade was not made clear. I suppose an argument could be made on that basis asking for waver of fees and waiting period and asking for an immediate retest. I would only do this if I thought that the current grade was badly different from my ability. If you cannot guarantee to yourself that a retest should result in a passing grade then wait out the 30 days, practice a lot and retake the test.

Whatever you do I wish you luck.
Bill
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SNT-TC-1A passing score