Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Guy, question about which welder:
- - By Lockdown Date 12-14-2004 04:28
Well I'm ready to buy up a welder and since i'm a novice at welding I'm wondering what welding would work for me. I need one that will work off a 120v input and will do the most penetration. My main uses are fabrication of sheetmetal on cars but will want to weld up engine mounts etc. So i think anything thicker then 1/2" is not in my plans. So anyway I've been reading the message board and have been getting great info. Keep it up.

Thanks

Brent
Parent - - By gangel99 (*) Date 12-14-2004 04:40
110V limits you to 1/8" but works great with sheet metal. You can weld up to 1/4" if you are able to bevel the joint. I have a Lincoln SP125+, heard many good things about the Miller 135, and I'm sure others will chime in about the Hobart. I would get a unit that works with Argon and steel wire as well as flux core. These are one notch up from the WeldPak 100's in Lowes and Home Depot.
Parent - By Lockdown Date 12-14-2004 18:26
ya I know my 120V is killing me. I wish I could get to a 220V but thats not happening since i"m in college and renting my place out. So check out the Miller 135 any other recomendations? I appreciate your response. Thanks

EDIT: I found a Hobart 140 that is identical to the MillerMatic 135 but it'll do up to 1/4" in a single pass whereas the 135 does 3/16" i believe. Any good/bad/evil stories about Hobart or just stick to a Miller?
Heres the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45032&item=3859738409#ebayphotohosting
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Guy, question about which welder: