Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Aluminum with Oxy-accetelyne
- - By Kanco Date 12-16-2004 06:11
Does any know if it is possible to use an oxy-accetelyne welding setup to weld aluminum?

If the answer it yes... can anyone include any links to websites or books that would teach me how to do it and what materials I would need besides my gas welding kit.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-16-2004 07:19
Yes- you need special flux and appropriate filler. Your welding supply should have what you need.
Bill
Parent - By Kanco Date 12-16-2004 19:07
Thank you I will ask my local shop and see what they offer.
Parent - - By Kanco Date 12-30-2004 05:03
Do you recomend any particular flux and filler? I ordered the video from the tinman website but they don't list items or flux to purchase...I guess they want us to order from them and I would rather pick it up in person.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-31-2004 05:36
It's been a while, I don't remember brand names. I would try whatever the welding supply has. There probably won't be a lot of choice.
Bill
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 12-16-2004 13:00
For both instruction and supplies for o-a aluminum welding, the link below is good

http://www.tinmantech.com/
Parent - By Kanco Date 12-16-2004 19:08
Thanks, I will check out that site.
Parent - By Malcolm (*) Date 01-01-2005 00:27
Many, but not all, aluminum alloys can be oxyfuel welded. What alloy do you want to weld? And what kind of structure are you welding?

I recommend getting a copy of "The Oxy-Acetylene Handbook" published by Union Carbide. I pretty am sure it is long out of print. My copy was printed in 1954. But it shows up on eBay frequently.

IMHO for most applications you would likely be better off using GMAW or TIG. Is there a particular reason you want to use oxyfuel?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Aluminum with Oxy-accetelyne