Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ACCP Level II VT
- - By thekoz (*) Date 12-23-2004 18:00
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I have read many of the topics in recent history and would like to pose a two part question into the forum.

First

I'm sure that most everyone here knows that the ASNT is again allowing CWI's to apply for ACCP Level II certs in VT. I passed on the offer last time because I had never run into the situation where a client declined CWI's in favor of Level II VT's. I am not saying that the situation has never come up for other inspectors or will never come up for me, but is it really worth it? My current employer wants me to Cert heavy and is paying for me to get it, so this time I am getting it, but I don't see an advantage. Can anyone here shed some light on this for me?

Second

I can document experience in both PE and remote sectors. I had to get our Level III to attest to the fact that I indeed had met the requirements set forth by ASNT. He raised his eyebrow a little and indicated that if I offered the ACCP Level II VT to him on a project he was in charge of, he would make me retest anyway. Does that not defeat the purpose of the cert? Anyone with experience on this matter?
Parent - - By gyadon (**) Date 12-29-2004 15:01
I have the same question. Can anybody shed some light on this subject?
Gary
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-29-2004 15:42
This topic has previously been discussed and debated in length; don't know the thread number but it should still be here... anyway, from my own personal experience, in working primarily with the ASME Codes, the only Code we work with which REQUIRES an ASNT-TC-1a VT is ASME Section III, Subsection NF (nuclear pipe/component supports). That is definately not saying that things won't change but I haven't run into the requirement elsewhere.

As for your Level III REQUIRING an "in-house" test, that's also pretty normal in my experience; just as MOST company's will not accept previous welder qualifications MOST company's Level III's also require their inspector's to qualify to their written practice. Naturally, there are exceptions in both cases.

So, I guess to sum things up, if my employer had not offered to pay for my ACCP VT, I would not have paid for cross certification on my own but have always been a firm believer that more is usually better especially if the boss is paying for it! ;-)

I have found that the pressure equipment endorsement may be useful as a qualification basis in countries outside of the USA.

Hope this helps and ducking to take cover from all of the counter opinions!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-29-2004 21:17
As jon20013 mentioned, it depends on the work you do or will run into. My background is structural steel and bridges and I have never seen a client not accept a CWI in that type of work. When I have seen references to a VT level II, the spec was usually written by someone with ASME experience who is covering all the bases because they aren't necessarily sure what is required.

If the VT cert would help me on a project, then I would go for it. No harm in having it if your budget allows for it. But strictly speaking for myself, I would need to see a real need for the certification first.

By all means, you ought to look for the previous threads on this subject. A lot was said about it.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-30-2004 12:49
Incidentally, I wrote ASNT to inquire how many CWI's took advantage of the initial 4 month transition period when the program was first offered. My inquiry was simply out of curiousity by the way.

Pasted below is part of their response:

We have a little over 1200 ACCP VT Level IIs who qualified through their
AWS CWI/SCWI certificates during ASNT/AWS four month transitioning
period.
Parent - - By thekoz (*) Date 12-30-2004 17:52
Thanks all for your replys. I looked back but I could not find the thread covering this topic. I was considering having ACCP level II's for my MT, PT, and UT also, but now I don't know if having them would be an advantage seeing that anytime I work for a new employer I would have to re-test anyway. I figured it would be benificial to have the ACCP certs if I was going to boom out on the road.

Gary,

I have not talked to you since the West Campus Co-Gen project. How is it going? Where did you end up? Wherever it is, I know it is warmer there than it is here.

John
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-30-2004 21:28
When you search for "ACCP", change the number of days to 999 & the replys to 100.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ACCP Level II VT