Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bidding pipe jobs
- - By Burbank78 Date 01-04-2005 16:30
Hello I was needing some help. I am working on starting a pipe fabrication shop. I am unfamiliar with bidding on pipe jobs though. I have been a jouneyman 1st class Refinery pipe welder for 10 years and also have my CWI. Does anyone know any numbers or anything that would help me with bidding on pipe jobs. Also, if you know of any other info on starting a pipe fabrication shop would be helpfull. I have my business plan put together. I am stuck on my financial plan though I am having a tough time figuring out my $ figures for everything. I have a shop to lease it has overhead cranes and 3 phase.

Is there any $ numbers to use for a guidline for bidding on welding jobs of various sizes pipe using GMAW root FCAW fill and cap 1G position?

Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-04-2005 19:10
Burbank78
Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to the "Estimator's Piping Man-Hours Manual, by John Page, published by Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, Texas. The Amazon page may let you brouse a few pages and the table of contents.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0884152596/qid=1104865230/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8527373-8526264?v=glance&s=books

Many estimators use this only as a guideline, and develop their own correction factors based on the capabilities of their shop. For example if they find that they can weld a 10" Sch. 40 butt weld faster that the charts in the manual they might use a .85 correction factor.

There are bound to be other publications available that are similar. Hopefully someone else will jump in with some.
Parent - - By boiler tube (*) Date 01-05-2005 03:52
HI, BURBANK78
TRY BROWNBOOKSHOP.COM OR PIPEFITTER.COM
HOPE THAT HELPS, AND GOOD LUCK

R.C.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-11-2005 13:40
Based on my estimator experience of many years ago, I agree entirely with Thirdeye. I've used many times John Page's book, multiplying the data shown there by a correction factor.
Now, I'm going to check Boiler Tube's information.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Burbank78 Date 01-16-2005 18:44
Thank you all for the info. I have purchased the book and look forward to putting it to use. Thanks again
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bidding pipe jobs