Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 PQR Essential Variables
- - By shutmdown Date 01-04-2005 16:40
I am wanting to qualify a FCAW WPS with CVN Testing.

In my opinion per Table 4.1 using plate to qualify a WPS for all
positions it is necessary to run a three plate test in the 2-4G positions. However, Table 4.6 Position(6) the code states, "a change in position to 3G vertical up. 3G vertical up qualifies for all positions and vertical down."

Does this alleviate the three plate test requirements?
Parent - By George-kh (**) Date 01-11-2005 01:03
No. It’s just for impact test. You need still to weld three coupons in 1G, 2G and 3G. But if you have done impact test, which the specimens have been taken from 3G position coupon, it is not mandatory to do impact test on 1G and 2G coupons.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-25-2005 13:29
I'm sure your right in stating you have to run a 2G thru 4G for all positions.
Where did you note that 3G Qualifies for Vertical Up & Down?
I believe that a change in direction is an essential variable and requires requalification of your WPS. An exception may be if you complete testing using all the variables combined on one WPS e.g. Vertical up and Vertical down.
WPS is used in production welding based on the PQR variables. If the PQR isn't qualified for all positions, the WPS won't be either.
( I do believe that ASME permits the cover pass to be either up or down for the PQR ) . {The variables for Welder performance doesn't without testing}
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 PQR Essential Variables