Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year boot camp
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-07-2005 02:33
I'm up for my nine year recert and need only 20 more hours of education to qualify without testing. Money is an object in my quest. It however is not the only issue. I want to talk with someone that has attended boot camp. I want to know what boot camp is all about. I'm in an area where I don't get much input about inspection. There are no other inspectors to bounce things off of. I live in a very small market. I want to know if I will be exposed to anything worth the $3,500.00 it will cost me to attend boot camp. Please only serious answers.

Dennis

PS email me and I will give you an 800 number.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-07-2005 02:37
I am not familar with the boot camp but the price seems incredibly high for teaching you to pass something you have already passed. The self study materials are good if you are so inclined or even just the week long course.

That just seems awful high. Is this something given by AWS ? I may be in the wrong business:)

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 01-07-2005 17:39
I saw the term boot camp on the Shop Talk forum. I would like to know what it is? If any body knows, let the rest of us know. Anything called boot camp must be interesting!!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-07-2005 21:28
I think "boot camp" was originally posted describing the seminar conducted by Quality Management Co. to assist structural fabricators with understanding and complying with the new AISC Building Standard. Boot Camp was the term that QMC used in their ads and notices.
Naturally the term fits any organization's instruction seminars.

Chet
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-07-2005 13:03
I haven't looked at the standard in quite a while but with regard to the education; I seem to remember that one could be either the student OR the instructor... if this is the case have you thought about taking one of your favorite welders and spending a little quality training time with him? Just a thought, looking for loopholes! ;-)
Parent - By gkcwi (**) Date 01-07-2005 19:19
I think that everybody is talking about 2 different boot camps. AISC has a boot camp for the purpose of AISC shop certification. AWS has a boot camp for inspectors that are up for retest at 9 years. From what I have read in the articles, the AWS is quite intense training,homework and stuff, but people that attend seem to like the course. I also "think" that you can't use education alone for not retesting. Call the folks in MAIMI and ask them, it can't hurt.
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-07-2005 23:05
Boot camp is the one week 80 hour training that is provided by AWS at a cost of $1,400.00. When you add in travel and hotel and food, and the loss of work for a week it can easily add up to $3,500.00. I know that this trainiong will sufice for the 9 year recertification without retest. What I realy want to know, Is the 80 hour intence training just another how to do it seminar or is it somthing special that one should not miss if you have the money?
Parent - - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-14-2005 15:31
I believe that the hours are limited for any specific training e.g. If you have a 100 hour training class the credit is limited to like 20.
I just finished my 9th year and was able to use my training and time used to train welders. The classes taught have to be accredited and are also limited.

Thought I'd add a little more confusion.

Good Luck
Parent - - By metalcare (*) Date 01-25-2005 15:20
A welding inpsector seeking 9 year renewal participiate or teach in training course, minimum of 80 contact hours earned during the nine year certification period including forty (40) earned in the final three. Whereas in the 9 year boot camp, AWS squeeze all 80 hours in one week period (i.e all 80 hours in final 3 years). The 9 year renwal boot camp of 80 hours training all within 3 years is not obiviously meeting AWS-QC1 requirement.

Any thoughts?
Muthu
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-26-2005 14:00
If you have 2 years of continued activity in your last 3 years or 1 year and 40 hours of programs offered by AWS or teaching an accredited/documented class you've got it covered. ( 40 hour max for any one class in the 3 year period)
If you don't, don't wait to sign up for the current practical test as you probably don't want to start over.

Good Luck
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 01-26-2005 15:00
I to have the same questions and thought as Dennis. As both a CWI and CWE, I have confirmed my questions with the Q&C Dept. with AWS.
I suggest the following for both a CWI and CWE. Approach your local AWS Section about a Section CWE performing the training of Production, Construction, Inspection and Repair. The CWE earns credit for teaching and the CWI receives the technical hourly credit of that occupational fuction. If the CWE and the CWI follow the guidelines for each standard, each will more than satisfy each area of re-certification. This could be very cost effective for all parties. Comments and responses encouraged.

John Folk
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year boot camp