Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Choosing a welder is HARD WORK!
- - By tklimala Date 01-08-2005 00:05
I was given a welder ("coupon") for Christmas. I have borrowed buzz boxes to TIG in the past so when my spousal unit was stuck for a gift she chose that as an out. The budget will support a mid-range MIG/STICK or low end TIG/STICK. That is when considering new not used equipement.

While my main hobbies are ham radio and woodworking, my son (SSGT USMC) and I would not let the welder gather dust.

After a week of research, I have come to the conclusion that I need way more features that someone in a shop who does the same job day after day. For that environment you can tailor the machine so you buy/pay for just what is needed to get the job done and no more.

Beyond car restoration and maybe some copper art work (to sell to people with more money than talent) I don't know what welding opportunities await me, so I feel the need to cover all the bases.

To conitinue the shop / home example, a shop could get by with a foot control - but since i don't know if I will be right side up or upside down, I feel I have to upgrade to a hand control where offered. (Lincoln 185)

A shop knows there is 230v available - and even tho i have an outlet for my compressor, I don't know that I won't have to go portable. Engine driven is out of the budget- I wish all the Millers had the AUTO-LINE feature - I would really like the flexibility. (MAXSTAR 200 SD is in the budget. I don't know that I would ever need the precision of TIG - but my son might for auto body work.)

So I am trying to decide between a Miller 210 or even a 251 with a spoolgun versus the 200 SD...that Auto Line is tuggin on me too hard - i need someone to talk me out of it.

Then again....I could move up to a bigger planer.....

Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 01-12-2005 10:06
I think you would be happy with the 210. The less electonics in a welder, the less chance for problems.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Choosing a welder is HARD WORK!