Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Victor Oxy-Acet. Qestions
- - By stewarzi Date 01-09-2005 23:45
I played around with a Mig welder for a while, but I just got a Victor Superrange II outfit. I went down to the local welding supply joint, got a bottle of oxygen and a bottle of acetylene, went home and hooked everything up. Everything appears to work just fine except for onr thing; both clocks on the acetylene regulator read 0 PSI all the time. The tank feels full, or at least pretty dang heavy. I've never opened the acetylene cylinder valve more than 3/4 of a turn. Everything is peachy on the oxygen side, though. This is my first time playing around with a gas welder, and I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything stupid.

Thanks
-Zac
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 01-10-2005 03:45
have you turned the adjusting knob or t-handle?
check to see if gas comes out the delivery side of regulator
when you remove red hose.
sometimes it is possible to get an empty from dist. i know because i am one. not on purpose but it happens sometimes.
take back to dist. and let them put a different gauge on it
perhaps your gauge is deffective, the diaphram may be stuck
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-10-2005 04:08
In addition to above- acetylene cylinders are filled with rock wool wetted with acetone to disolve the acetylene in. You can't just compress acetylene into a cylinder like oxygen or propane. It becomes unstable at high pressures and would explode. Thus an empty (which is probably what you have) is still pretty heavy.
Bill
Parent - - By stewarzi Date 01-10-2005 19:37
Acetylene comes out just fine. I can turn the knob on the regulator all the way down so that the acetylene hisses out but neither clock will budge.
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 01-11-2005 01:45
If it is new, and time or distance is not a factor, let you supplier deal with it. That's what they are here for. Jeff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Victor Oxy-Acet. Qestions