Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / deck welds
- - By gkcwi (**) Date 01-11-2005 12:13
I have a field inspector (AWS CWI) inspecting my erectors work. He stated that because the structural members are A992, all deck puddle welds have to be welded with lo-hy rod, and preheated. I looked in the D1.3-98 code and found you could infer that he's right. But has anybody used this in their inspections? You can only guess what everybody(ironworkers, my boss) have to say about the added costing to complete the project. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 01-11-2005 13:02
The Inspector is correct. He's just doing his job. The reasoning behind this is to avoid cracks that may subjugate into the structural member from improper welding pratices.
To clarify the preheat issue, the following data is from table 3.2 of the AWS D1.1 code:

A992 is a category B material
If the thickness of the structural member that is being welded to is:
1/8" - 3/4" - the minimum interpass and preheat temp is 32 degrees F.
Over 3/4" to 1 1/2" - 50 degrees F.
Over 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 - 150 degrees F.
Over 2 1/2" - 225 degrees F.

Note 1: When the base metal temp is below 32 degrees F, the base metal shall be preheated to a minimum of 70 degrees F and the minimum interpass temp shall be maintained during welding.

Parent - - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 01-11-2005 16:56
Sorry, I disagree. Refer to Section 1.4.2. It says you can match the filler metal of the lower grade. We do alot of tilt up panel warehouses and the deck is welded to the joists, our typical joists are Grade 50. We use a 6022 electrode. Hope this helps.
Michael
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-11-2005 18:00
Sorry:
This topic has been discussed previously in the Forum. I respectfully disagree with both of the above replies (but somewhat agree with Tim).

I interprete the D1.3 code as follows:
1.) Table 1.1 of the D1.3 code, Note 1: Low hydrogen electrodes shall be used when required by ANSI/AWS D1.1." This note is applicable to all Matching Filler Metal Requirments.
2.) The provision noted by Michael in 1.4.2 requires approval of the Engineer, not the contractor or the inspector. Undermatching is very common, for the Engineer...

We regularly require lo-hi here in So-Cal for arc spot welds when decking is attached to A 992, A 572 Gr. 50 or any other material listed in D1.1 as requiring a lo-hi filler metal.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 01-11-2005 22:13
I agree with DGXL.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / deck welds