Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxygen cylinder manifold systems
- - By cknox88 Date 01-13-2005 03:17
ok im new to welding so i dont know all the correct terms and stuff but i think you guys will get the point. ok the other day our welding teacher was showing us a manifold system they have at a local college. alright well you know the lines that lead from the tank to the manifold, is their an advantage of the coiled shape leading to the manifold?
why dont the just run it straight in instead of wasting all that material?
I asked the teacher the same question he didnt know said he would check into it but today he said he never founds out any thing so i figured i would try. THANKS
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 01-13-2005 04:16
The coiled shape accomodates movement without causing fatigue or permanent deformation in the line. Sometimes the bottle is not quite lined up and the coil lets the line flex a little. Some manifolds use braided stainless steel flex hoses instead of coils.
Parent - - By Arcandflash (**) Date 01-14-2005 01:19
Congratulations on chasing down the answer yourself! I sure hope your welding teacher knows a lot about welding because I am very surprised that he wouldn't know the answer to your question. The coil trick is used all over the place for tubing - not just oxygen manifolds.
Parent - - By cknox88 Date 01-14-2005 03:49
he told me that he isnt at all familiar with the manifold systems. our school doesnt have one. but he predictied thats why they coil it too. so i guess he was right i just figured that their may be a better reason for the coil shape. some one told him that it also may be for catching any condesation or dirt or something like that. but i dont see how because then they would just put on a drip leg right???
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 01-14-2005 04:43
Yes. The pressure of the gas would just move the dirt/condensation along the pipe, that is, it wouldn't remain in the bottom of the loop. If it didn't move the pipe would be blocked.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-14-2005 07:16
If this is a distribution manifold and the coil follows the primary regulator it could also be there to add surface area to help rewarm the gas which would be chilled when it expanded in the regulator.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxygen cylinder manifold systems