Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Composition of acetylene cylinders
- - By MetalMan Date 01-15-2005 21:13
Please let me know if I have this right. The acetylene cylinders are filled with a porous filler material and saturated with liquid acetone. The acetone has the capability of absorbing 25 times in own volume of acetylene. Okay, but let me ask this. Is there ever any pure, gaseous acetylene in the cylinders? Does the acetylene gas evaporate from the acetone within the cylinder? If this is the case, why does the acetylene gas tolerate 250psi, when it gets unstable at only 15psi?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-19-2005 17:11
Question: Is there any pure, gaseous acetylene in the cylinders?
Answer: Yes, there is.
Question: Does the acetylene evaporate from the acetone within the cylinder?
Answer: Yes, it does.
Question: How this happens?
Answer: In the very first moment, acetylene molecules leave the acetone solution and go to the gaseous phase within the cylinder. In a few minutes, though, the equilibrium between the gaseous acetylene and the acetylene in solution is reached and the evaporation stops.
Question: What does it means that the "equilibrium is reached"?
Answer: It means that the quantity of molecules that leave the solution as gas equals the quantity of gaseous molecules that return to the acetone solution.
Question: When is the equilibrium reached?
Answer: When the absolute pressure of the gaseous acetylene equals the vapor pressure of the acetylene in solution.
Question: What does the vapor pressure of acetylene in solution depends from?
Answer: It depends from the temperature the cylinder is at. "Ambient" or "Room" temperature means little in this case. Ambient temperature in the north of Canada could reach 40 F below, whereas here in Brazil it could reach (and in fact it does very often) 100 F above.
Question: Where can I find the relationship between temperature and vapor pressure of the acetylene solution in acetone?
Answer: In a good engineering handbook, or alternatively, asking acetylene manufacturers, such as Praxair, AGA, Linde, Air Liquide, BOC, and others.
Question: Why does acetylene get unstable at 15 psi?
Answer: The unstability of acetylene is not due to pressure but to the shocks and blows the cylinder is subjected to. In fact, acetylene cylinders support a rough treatment in shops and jobsites.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-21-2005 07:00
A property called mean free path apparently comes into play here. It is the average (mean) distance that a molecule of gas travels before bumping into another gas molecule. Keeping the pore size small in the cylinder interferes with this bumping about and enhances stability.

Physical chemistry is not my field and I would welcome an explanation of this from someone who actually understands it.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Composition of acetylene cylinders