Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Campbell-Hausfeld POS?
- - By patrick_mac Date 01-17-2005 23:43
Hello forum members. First my apologies for posting a dumb, newbie question.
Let me first say that I can weld using stick and mig, as well as braze…though none of it certifiable. Most of the welding machines I've used were professional 220V type such as Miller.

Since I no longer have access to one of these machines, I went down to Lowes and purchased one of those
little 115 volt mig welders. Right off the bat, I couldn’t produce a bead to save my life, regardless of wire speed and/or temp setting. Since I was using the reel of free flux wire, I decided that what I needed was a small bottle of 75/25 gas and solid wire. After going to that added expense, the result is not any better whatsoever. The wire just sputters on the surface and leaves round beads of material. And I’ve tried both polarity settings as well.

This is a Campbell-Hausfeld unit Model WG3000, Wire Feed Arc Welder. So far I can’t get this unit to do squat. All I’m trying to do is soundly weld two thin pieces of sheet metal together. Do I need to pre-heat the metal before doing this, or is this just a POS that is better suited as a boat anchor? I’ve seen the same type 110v welders from Miller and Lincoln, but are they any better? I’d hate to think I’ve spent 450 bucks for nothing.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Has anyone else had any luck with this unit?

Patrick in Houston
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-18-2005 05:00
A friend has that machine and it seems to weld ok (I've not used it myself). You should talk to someone at Lowes, it sounds defective to me.
Bill
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-18-2005 12:00

Patrick,

Most of those little 110 machines come pre wired for DCEP (reverse polarity) Most self shielded flux core wire runs DCEN (straight polarity) Your owners manual will have instructions on how to change polarity, its usually a wire pole change inside the box rather than a toggle. If that isn't your problem than return the thing and try something different. Those little 110 machines can do a surprising amount of work when conditions are good.
Parent - - By patrick_mac Date 01-18-2005 20:34
Well, I took the unit over to a service shop today and it worked well for them; I even laid a few beads. The only adj. was wire feed speed. Needless to say I was quite embarrased. Brought it home without touching a thing and it operated much weaker than at their shop. Could be my extention cord is too small. Will go by H. Depot to get a larger gage. But at least I now know that it's the operator, not the machine.

Thank you for your replies!

Patrick McLoad
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2005 12:31
Good morning Patrick,
My little 110v unit won't even work on a short extension cord, it will weld about an inch and kicks off like it's overheated and only the fan will run. I don't have the same brand you do, mine is a Hobart Handler 135.
Lose the drop cord or get a really heavy gage one to keep down on the voltage drop. I have mine on a 20a breaker and it doesn't trip it as long as I don't use an extension cord.
John Wright
Parent - - By patrick_mac Date 01-20-2005 02:48
Thanks John. I have some really heavy gage wire (stage lighting) that I'm going to try for an extention cord...I only need about 8 or 10 feet. Though this wire may be too thick for conventional 110 plugs.
Might also make one out of 110 Romex solid wire.

Patrick McLoad

PS: I have yet to throw a breaker.
Parent - - By reggie_obe Date 01-26-2005 22:47
Romex is not suitable for use as an extension cord. Being composed of solid conductors, you may experience even more voltage drop than from a longer cord composed of 14ga SO or SJ cord. If you have use an extension cord, it should be a short as possible and constructed of 12-3 SO or SOO for rough survice.
Parent - By patrick_mac Date 02-09-2005 14:31
Reggie; thanks for the suggestion, and, you are correct! I finally found the source of the problem, that being, low voltage in my garage. I took a digital VOM and measured the voltage at the breaker box (in the backyard), and at the plug in my garage. Sure enough, there was about a 9 to 10 volt difference. And as Reggie suggested, the romex didn't help matters.

A friend brought over a long cable w/very heavy guage stranded wire, and we connected it to an outlet w/ dedicated breaker at the breaker box (as the equip. manual specifies), and ran it into my garage. Sure enough, the welder works much better now because the voltage is higher and there are no other items on that circuit. Before, when plugged into the wall socket, all the lights in the house and garage were dimming when welding....that should have told me something.
Anyway, case closed...thank you all for your input and advice!

Patrick/Houston
Parent - - By bretsk2500 Date 03-07-2005 03:34
I've got a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 and it's also super sensative to small extension cords. I've used it with up to 300' of 10ga extension cord though with out any problems.

-Bret
Parent - - By kawgomoo (*) Date 06-22-2005 02:12
DONT USE A FUCKING EXTENSION CORD!

thats your problem.

see the guage wire coming out of the machine thats only 6 feet long. well when you use wire 7 times as long and a third the size... your are going to lose mad current.

think of electricity as water and the wires as hoses... thats how i was taught and it seems much easier in my head.

anyway i have a shitball lincoln 110v machine.. it welds great. but sucks the balls on a cord. just try plugging your air compressor into that cord.. i bet it wont even start :)
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 06-24-2005 02:29
Your intelligence is showing.
Does your family tree have any branches?
Parent - - By skydivemark Date 01-20-2008 22:11
I also am not a professional welder (took welding in High school AND college/trade school), and consider myself to be quite proficient with a descent machine. I had bought a cheaper Campbell Hausfeld model stickwelder and had nothing but trouble with it, lots of trouble getting a bead started etc. Finally bought a Hobart MIG unit (Handler 125) at Northern Tools for about $300 and so far its one of the best welders I've used including the more expensive units.
I've known a few other guys who got & used CH units and most of them (not all of them) had similar problems with the stick &/or MIG welders.
  Long story short -- you get what you pay for. CH is a cheap tool at a cheap price.................
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-23-2009 02:42
I ran across that problem once with my hobart 140. Forget the exact situation but it would'nt weld worth a hoot, then I looked and brought out my 10 gauge 50' extension cord and it was back to normal. The hose and water quote from above is a fine analogy when thinking voltage/current. What was it, voltage is what does the work, pushes the amperage through the wire, or vise versa.....can't remember, mechanic days are fading fast in my memory and I'm loving it!
Parent - By jstasney (*) Date 07-03-2009 16:12
Most of those "115 volt" wire machines have
INPUT voltage stickers on them somewhere.
They will state the nominal input voltage and amperage current draw
and
the nominal output voltage and amperage output relative to such.

Some can be configured to handle as much as a 20 AMP input!
Lincoln's are this way.
The bottom line is they all MUST have
extreemly good 115 VOLT dedicated circuits to power them.
Extension cords, if used, should be as short as possible and of a larger wire size guage
than the input cord of the machine to cut down on any electrical resistance.
Use very heavy duty plugs and connectors.

MIG is heavily dependant on a good ground connection to the part being welded.
Remember, this is a CV machine ...("constant voltage").... good voltage is your friend.
Clean the grounding area to bright metal and make sure your ground clamp connection tips are brightly clean as well.
Ground to the part being welded if at all possible.
A "tacked" ground connection is like a soldered wire connection, there is nothing better.
If you can, bolt your ground to a piece of cleaned scrap metal and lightly tack it to your work piece.
Use "Never Seize" dressing on your connections to keep them in good electrical shape.
You'll get a much better ground and the machine will run much more powerfully and smoother.

A good rule of thumb for wire feeders you should know.
The wire must feed through the wire gun liner and tip easily and smoothly.
The tip will stop up with very fine "BB's" while welding and hang up the wire.
Poke it out with the wire religeously for a smooth feed.
Don't hold the tip any closer than 1/2" from the work.
Don't "KINK" the welding lead liner by "pulling the machine around with it".
To check the wire is feeding smoothly, unhook the wire feed rollers in the machine, you should be able to hand pull the wire easily through the tip and liner.
If not, flush the liner with compressed air or if needed replace it.
Ditto for the welding tip, they tend to wear in "V" egg shaped notches and pinch the wire or not get good connection on the sides of the wire.
Look through the hole in the empty tip pointed at a light source and see how it's shaped. Replace if worn badly.
Keep the roller "V" grooves clean and use a wire wiper to wipe residue from the wire.
Don't use rusty wire! You'll plug up your liner and tip with rust.
Keep the wire stored in a clean dry place when not is use with gell packs sealed in a purged zip lock bag. (Mash the air out before sealing it)

Setting the machine requires setting the amperage you intend to use on brightly clean materials less than 3/16" thick.
Use scrap steel to set the machine.
Follow the pointers above for grounding the well powered machine to your work.
Insure everything is operating smoothly as above mentioned BEFORE you start.
Use the highest amperage setting you can comfortably use without melting holes in your work.
Ramp the wire speed up slowly from low feed speed to higher feed speeds just until
you have a good close wire buzz at the puddle and you have a good fluid puddle control.
Your set...if anything changes while welding...look for wire restrictions in the tip or liner.
Use a good de-spat on the tip and or cup...spray silicone is good.
Very Lighly sprayed WD-40 in a pinch works on the cheap.
Pre-heat heavier thicker metals to aid in weld penetration.
If you need a heavier thicker weld on your work, good tight multi-pass welds stacked up are better than heavier thicker weld passes.
Weld in flat or horizontal positions for easier welding.

Good Luck!

I hope that Follow these pointers you'll have a better experience with it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Campbell-Hausfeld POS?