Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Section IX Or AWS D10.9
- - By Weldz61 (*) Date 01-20-2005 17:24
Hello,

I have a welder qualification issue. I need to qualify several welders to weld thread-o-let type connection to 1 1/2" sch. 80 pipe branch. The thread-o-lets range from .250" to 1.125" in diamenter and have approx. a .0625", 30 deg. bevel (chamfer) on them. They are combination single bevel / fillet welds (.250" fillet) with full root penetration (there will be .0625" root opening) is required using a combination of GMAW for the root and FCAW for the finished weld (fillet). My question(s) is, what type of test will be required to qualify theses people? Will they need to take more that one test because of the various diameters. And what type of testing is required for to qualify the procedure especially for the smaller diameter of pipe / tubing (.250")? All welding should conform to ASME B31.5 Standard Piping Code which refers to ASME Section IX.
My objective is to minimize the amount of testing needed. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help ,

Chas Miller
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 01-20-2005 23:31
Thought #1: The smallest groove weld diameter to be welded in production should be used for the welder qualification test. This will qualify for that diameter and anything of larger diameter.

Thought #2: It sounds like the groove depth is the same for all diameters (0.0625" or 1/16"). A combination GMAW open root and FCAW fill groove welder qualification test joining two pieces of the smallest diameter to be welded in production will qualify for groove welds up to 2t for each process and all fillets.

Thought #3: Is the 0.250" diameter fitting a nominal pipe size or outside diameter? The diameter limits of ASME IX are for O.D.

Thought #4: Diameter is not an essential variable for procedure qualification. A groove weld test on plate or pipe on any thickness from 1/32" up to 3/8" will qualify the base metal and weld metal thickness range needed for this weld.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Section IX Or AWS D10.9