Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / setup tips
- - By agon_d Date 01-21-2005 20:44
I am a student who has taken a recent interest in welding. I only know basics and I have only used a mig welder. I am currently looking to purchase a setup for my shop at home. Any minimum requirements would be very helpful. Price is the main factor. My budget is definitely limited. Any advice on brands, specs, or suppliers would be most appreciated. I am also looking at a very low cost auto darkening helmet. Minimum speed? once again any advice would be great. Thanks
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 01-22-2005 04:09
My list would include these:
1] Millermatic135-entry level mig
2] Miller Xlix welding hood{autodarkening-variable shade-variablesensitity}
3] look at www.brwelder.com and www.cyberweld.com great online sources

BEWARE of Cheap welding hoods- you only get one set of eyes, cut corners anywhere but not here-PLEASE
Parent - - By burninbriar (*) Date 01-22-2005 04:19
The first thing I would do is research the work available to you,this will be the best indicator of what equipment you'l need.Secondly,don't look for a cheep auto dark helmet.If price is a factor, a regular helmet is all you need.I've been welding all my life and don't own an autodark.You have only one set of eyes.Don't put them at risk.
Parent - By burninbriar (*) Date 01-22-2005 16:44
Sorry.It was late last night when I replied to you're post and confused it with one who wanted to start a buisness.But keep in mind that autodark helmets are a luxury and a regular helmet is fine.Make sure you have the right shade for you're aplication.
Parent - By SLowChild (*) Date 02-21-2005 02:30
I've had friends bump the shade settings on cheap auto darkening helments. Don't realize untill it's to late. Get what ya pay for.
Parent - By agon_d Date 02-11-2005 20:37
Thank you very much for the info. my vision will surely thank you at a later date!
Parent - By mksqc (**) Date 02-21-2005 19:03
I USE A MILLERMATIC 130 FOR MY HOME USE AND WOULD NOT TRADE IT! MILLERMATIC 135 WOULD BE THE MORE RECENTI DONT THINK YOU COULD GO WRONG WITH IT.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / setup tips