Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Arc 300 GTSW Aluminum Problems
- - By rangerod (**) Date 01-22-2005 06:43
We have a Thermal 300 at work & I am having a hell of a time with the aluminum settings. The machine acts as if the high freq is wanting to keep initiating. I run a Dynasty 300 DX at my part time job & this machine is a thing of beauty no problems with the settings at all. I have followed all the tips I can get & to no avail still piss poor results??? I am at a loss, then to boot Thermal Arc themselves are no help at all. I have made attempts to contact them but no joy. It seems that maybe there is a circuit board problem but how can I verify what the problem is or can I? If this fails I guess it will have to go in for maintenance. Any help would be appreciated I have asked the same question on other boards & I can't get a solid answer.

Rod
Parent - - By EVWELDER (**) Date 01-24-2005 17:53
I have three a Thermal 300 and weld aluminum everyday with it what setting do you have it on and what type and thickness are you welding on.Maybe I can help I have had trouble with Thermal arc getting help too.
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 01-25-2005 07:51
Welding .060" causing this problem & it is more of a concern to me due to not having control of the weld puddle than the thicker material of .125" up . Right now I have it set @ 100hz & 35% cleaning. 3/32" thoriated tungsten, gas lens, 100% argon, water cooled torch & 460V operation. Maybe I should switch to 230V operation? I have tried many different setting & the same problem. I should have ridiculus control of my weld puddle & its just not there like the Dynasty 300 DX I also use. Thanks to all for the help.

Rod
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 01-24-2005 22:29
I also have a TA ProWave 300GTSW and, after acquainting myself with all of its adjustments, have had no problems welding with it. Shortly after I purchased it, I contacted TA's tech. service several times to ask some questions about Dinse connections, AC welding settings, and hand remote controls. Each time I was connected to a TA rep. promptly and received helpful answers. Once, a couple of weeks after I asked a TA rep. for some advice, I was pleasantly surprised when he phoned me back to find out if I had worked out my problem. I guess that our experiences with their tech service have been radically different.
LarryL
Parent - - By Brand X (*) Date 01-27-2005 09:55
Eloy,
Everybody is going to have problems with Thermal for a while.
The bean counters let go all the reps that made over a certain amount of money. They had a couple rounds of it. I talked to two former reps that have worked for them for over 20 years and I got most of the story.

The one rep out here was the best welding rep around. He now works for esab so I am happy.

Anyway Thermal still has one guy that is really good. He runs the plasma part of Thermaldyne and has escaped the cutting axe so far.

Try here and see if this will help you.

AHolst@thermadyne.com

Scott
Parent - - By Brand X (*) Date 01-27-2005 09:59
PS- to Larry, I finally made a button control for my 300 TSW and it is just what I thought it would be. Great!!!! The repeat mode is very slick for welding with a button even on AC. :)
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 01-28-2005 02:43
Scott

Thanks for the info I will contact ASAP. Appreciate the help.

Rod
Parent - - By LarryL (**) Date 01-28-2005 20:24
Scott, that's great that your on-off button switch can provide a fine touch control for your 300TSW. Now, is there a way that I can add an additional circuit to my 300GTSW to make my on-off button switch behave the same way as yours? I can't go the same route that you did since, unlike you, I'm not the curator of a welding museum. ;-) ;-)

Maybe someone like Brande would know how to do it. It's too bad that Bill Cox is no longer with TA's tech. service or I could pick his brains about this.
LarryL
Parent - By Brand X (*) Date 01-29-2005 00:00
That one I would not know. Maybe Sanrex could help?

Scott
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Arc 300 GTSW Aluminum Problems