Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding onto a cylinder
- - By chopski Date 01-27-2005 20:34
I am an amateur just learning on my own how to do some basic welding. I have been told that it is tricky to weld onto a cylinder for some reason and am wondering why this is. Anyone out there know?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-27-2005 20:38

Chop,

Before you start.. please

Tell us what kind of cylinder your trying to weld on.

Compressed gas cylinders are NOT weldable.

Lawn mower engine cylinders are very weldable.

Give us the 411 and somebody will have an answer for ya.
Parent - - By chopski Date 01-27-2005 21:09
Sorry about not being more specific.
I meant that I have been told that it is difficult to weld onto cyclindrically shaped objects in general. For instance, welding onto a drive shaft. Apparently there is potential for creating stresses in the shaft that might cause it to fail if you use the wrong heat.

Does that seem right?
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 01-27-2005 23:47
Hi chopski!

Welding cylindrically shaped objects is considered more difficult, because you have to alter the angle of the welding torch/welding electrode constantly! The potential for introducing stress into the weldment is also increased because the heat input on the weldment is in a state of Inequilibrium, if you don't think things thru!

Welding from the bottom (6 o'clock) up to the top (12 o'clock), in one go, then doing the same on the other side, will result in uneven stresses on a cylindrically shaped object. However, if you weld from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock on one side, and 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock on the other side, your reducing the stresses as the stress is opposite each other!

Hope this makes sense!

Regards

Parent - By chopski Date 01-28-2005 00:42
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for getting back to me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding onto a cylinder