Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Argon/CO2 & CO2 Regulators
- - By lift mechanic (*) Date 01-29-2005 03:54
I just purchased a Millermatic 210 and it came with a argon/CO2 regulator. What is the difference between the argon/CO2 regulator and the CO2 regulator? I found out the hard way that the 75/25 gas is a lot more expensive than the straight CO2 gas. An "S" cylinder of argon/CO2 costs $65 vs. a "K" cylinder of CO2 costs $45 to fill. Another question, is there much difference in the weld with the two types of gasses? I have done very little Mig welding mostly stick.
Parent - By leon phelps (**) Date 01-29-2005 20:29
It is the same regulator, from what I am told. The straight argon is used for Aluminum and the argon/co2 is used for steel welding. I am hardly an expert, butthis is what I remember from my class at the tech school.
Parent - - By gawelder (**) Date 01-29-2005 21:44
I agree with Leon the gauges are the same. from my experience
the 75/25 Argon/Co2 mixture does not spatter as bad as the straight
Co2 on mild steel. There is also a 90/10 mixture and a 91/5/4 Tri-mix
with 4 % oxygen.
Parent - - By lift mechanic (*) Date 01-30-2005 02:29
Thanks for the information. I guess the dealer was thinking I would have two cylinders hooked up at the same time. 1 for mild steel and 1 for a spool gun. Thanks again. Mark
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-30-2005 08:12
Actually the dealer gave you gas that is widely used to weld steel. CO2 will work too, you get a little more spatter, the CO2 depletes the carbon in the deposited metal a little so the deposited metal is not quite as strong. As you noted a refill is cheaper and in addition CO2 is liquid in the cylinder so a lot fits in. If you weld aluminum I believe you will need straight argon.
Bill
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-30-2005 13:27
Mark:
In addition to what has already been mentioned, some flowmeters / regulators are not recommended for use on co2 because the cheaper low- mass bodies tend to freeze at high co2 flow rates and low temperatures. The fact that your flowmeter is rated for both may mean that you got a better flowmeter.
Parent - By texarc (*) Date 01-31-2005 18:25

I had alot of trouble with running strate co2 with the flow meter that came with my miller matic 250. The flow meter froze in no time with strate co2. I switched to argon75%/co2 25%. now no freezing problems.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Argon/CO2 & CO2 Regulators