Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Newbie Welding Question. Passes/FeedRate
- - By WanganKin Date 01-29-2005 10:16
Hi,

I want to use a Hobart 135 MIG Welder using Flux Core wire to weld a Log style turbo manifold from www.jgsprecision.com. They recommend a 200amp welder. I do not have that. I want to know is it possible to use this welder to weld the manifold together? It is mild steel with a .31" wall thickness. roughly 5/16" My question is When multiple passes are needed do I want to use less wire and allow the metal to heat up? or is it quite the opposite and deposite large amounts of weld. I am not too concerned about the looks of the finished product. My only concern is with durability.

Thanks,

Jonathan.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2005 15:24

Jonathan,

Check your flux core wire manufacture spec before attempting multi pass welds. Some self shielded flux core wires designed for those 135 migs are not formulated for multi-pass welding.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2005 18:16
Lawrence is correct about certain types of wire, but that shouldn't stop you from using your small wire welder, simply purchase a spool of self-shielding fluxcore wire that WILL allow multi-pass welding. However when you add the gas bottle/regulator, your choices of wire are larger to choose from.
John wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Newbie Welding Question. Passes/FeedRate