Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Quality System
- - By APM (*) Date 02-01-2005 12:07
I'm interested in learning more about any weld quality system that has a foundation in the heavy construction or structural steel welding industry.I'm looking for a system that is considered world class & can be modeled after. The system should include tools such as developing well trained welders, weld inspection, who do you measure & maintain weld quality levels & how do you measure weld process capability.

I'm interested in some contacts where I can get started.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 02-01-2005 13:26
These may be what you have in mind and may be a good place to start:

http://www.aws.org/w/s/certification/FAB/

http://www.aisc.org/Template.cfm?Section=AISC_Certification

Hope this helps.

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-01-2005 15:57

Dougs links are excellent, especially if your in the erection/building trades.

If your looking for a system that will capture and hold quality control over the long run in a high volume manufacturing environment, than I think a process control paradigm would have greater value than certification alone.

In manufacturing, welder training is rarely the silver bullet solution to long term quality control issues. The good news is that effeciency and profitablity go hand in hand with quality welds. In manufacturing its usually the welding decision makers who require the brush up work.

ISO 9001 or Certifiying your welders will not solve quality problems if the decision makers are purchasing wrong equipment, gasses, wires etc. $10,000 power sources and tri-mix gas for flat and horizontal welds in carbon steel? 750+ inches per minute with 75/25 gas and wondering about lack of sidewall fusion?

Good insight into productivity gains can be gained from Ed Craig, His books;
"A Management & Engineers Guide to MIG Weld Quality, Productivity and Costs,
Manual MIG and "Flux Cored" Optimum Weld Parameters and
"Robot" and Manual, MIG Weld
Process Training and Process Controls".
http://weldreality.com/

I think Ed's approach is worthy of consideration and will have data to increase productivity and reduce rejects in all but the most squared away production centers. The top down philosophy about the need for decision makers to understand process is the key to high volume success and quality control.

Once the right people in your organization understand process control, than ISO etc. become powerful tools to keep the process in place.

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-01-2005 17:37
Not sure of what your application is but I was thinking that you may want to contact Atema Solutions. Those folks provide training on quality related and other topics. They also conduct seminars on the AISC quality certification program, which used to be handled through AISC's Quality Management Co. The QMC instructors have spun off from that to establish Atema.

I think they may be able to point you where you want to go.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Quality System