Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Common Regulator Pressures
- - By Coastie Date 02-01-2005 13:50
Hi, I'm curious as to what regulator pressures educators are teaching the newbie's. Specifically, what are you setting the Oxy/Acet pressure to for cutting, brazing and braze welding. I know it depends on certain variables but what are the average or common working pressures? Thanks.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-01-2005 13:57

Coastie,

I have Victor and Smith torches in my training center. I use Victors "Guide" and Smiths website downloads to use as training aids and also to make laminated posters for the hot work areas. This is especially important for the Bug-0s.

With all the fuel gas choices around now a days I don't teach rule of thumb technique any more... Too many tips, too many fuel gasses. Most welding supply houses give the Victor booklet out for free and the Smith literature is also free to download so its easy for anybody to have accurate data in the tool box.
Parent - - By Coastie Date 02-01-2005 15:32
Thanks Lawrence, We use Victor torches in our school (Coast Guard) and we have been following their guides. The reason I asked was that back in the "day" I was taught to set my guages at 3 and 30 psi. For everything. Cutting, brazing welding and silver soldering. I just adjusted my oxygen valve to get the desired flame. A lot of the Damage Controlmen in the Coast Guard do the same and I was recently called by an irate Senior Chief saying "what the heck are you teaching these guys? The oxygen pressure should be lowered to equal the acet. pressure when brazing and only higher when cutting" All the guides and references that I have say somewhat different things. I guess it depends on the torch manufacturer.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-01-2005 20:19
Coastie,

The ol Senior Chief is only part right (I hope he diddn't hear me)

Here is an important rule of thumb that I do teach.

Flashbacks and in-torch fires are almost always caused by fuel starvation! Many folks think that to get a cooler flame you simply reduce the working pressures of oxy and fuel... Not So! Each tip has specific requirements for flow and if they aren't met fuel gas (this is especially true with acetylene) will burn back into the torch body. So the moral of the story is to control the flame temp by using the proper tip... Same rule applies to welding or cutting tips.

Victor has an excellent video that even the old salts might benefit from viewing... "Oxy-Fuel Safety it's Not an Option" Its usually cheap or free.
Parent - By Coastie Date 02-01-2005 20:28
Thanks for your help Lawence. I will pass this info. along and try to get a copy of that video. Much appreciated. Have a great day.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Common Regulator Pressures