Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Preheat Requirements for 1045 Steel
- - By traviscoolman Date 02-01-2005 16:01
I am wondering what the applicable ASTM standards are for SAE 1045 Hot Rolled Steel. I am trying to determine preheat requirements for a project that I am working on. We are joining HR 1045 1" thick plate to a 2 to 2-1/4" diameter solid, also HR 1045. The setup is with a hole thru the plate, the bar is inserted perpendicular to the plate, and then fillet welds using MIG welding on one or both sides, depending on the application. The hole on the plate is chamfered, which to me seems unnecessary. I think a proper fillet weld should have enough penetration.
Table 3.2 does not list ASTM A576 for preheat guidelines. This is the applicable standard according to Ryerson-Tull stock list book. From the AWS structural code, using the method outlined in Annex XI3. HAZ Hardness Control, it seems that preheat may not be required with the right amount of energy input. According to the method above, I calculated that a fillet weld of leg size 3/8"-5/8" is possible with MIG process without preheat. Energy input would be 150 kJ/in. I'm assuming this is in the 1F position. I would like to hear if anyone has any evidence or experience that would validate or invalidate these calculations. Also, an equation relating energy input to voltage settings, amperage, travel speed would be awesome. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Travis Coolman
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-01-2005 22:10
150Kj/inch seem really high. The formula for heat input is V X A X 60 / travel speed (in inches per minute) = heat input (in joules per inch). Also, doesn't AWS D1.1 limit the maximum single pass fillet weld size?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-02-2005 14:01
GRoberts,
Just thinking outloud here but...We have a really hard time getting more than about a 3/8" fillet in one pass with 3/32" FCAW in 1F or 2F. After we get above a 3/8" fillet we start running multipass. Maybe larger fillets are achievable with SAW? I'm fairly certain that a 5/8" fillet in one pass would be stretching it. I would think that you would have to prove this WPS (qualify it) to make sure you could actually get an acceptable 5/8" fillet in one pass consistantly.
John Wright
Parent - By Bill Mc (**) Date 02-09-2005 18:52
AWS D1.1 specs the maximum size of single pass fillet welds

SMAW 1/4"
SAW 5/16"
GMAW/FCAW 5/16"
Parent - By brande (***) Date 02-06-2005 07:19
Preheat can be easy or not.

In general, 100 x carbon will get us close, unless special circumstance or highly restrained joints exist.

100 x carbon would give us a 500 degree preheat on 4150 and a 300 degree preheat on 4130.

Highly restrained joints require more.

good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Preheat Requirements for 1045 Steel