Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help with a welding standard
- - By kb (*) Date 02-02-2005 17:10
Hi,
I have done several searches looking for AMS-STD-2219 and have come up with plenty of references to it, but nothing that gets me to the actual print. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin Bentz
KB Fabrications
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 02-02-2005 17:37
Kevin:
1st, it should be noted that the 2219 standard has been superceded by at least 2 others:
1.) AWS D17.1:2001 Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications
2.) AMS-STD 1595 Qualification of Aircraft, Missile and Aerospace Fusion Welders

MIL-STD 2219 Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications is a lousy standard to use and has a lot of "grey areas" left for the user and Engineering Authority to interprete. I don't have my copy here, it is at one of my clients and I think it is dated back to the 80's.

What are you doing that you need an outdated standard?
Parent - - By kb (*) Date 02-03-2005 01:38
Sorry, I did not realize it was so outdated. I got that standard from the company I contract for. I'm not sure how he got that information but I think it may have been on the prints or spec sheets for these particular items (4130 rappel booms for forest service helicopters).

Thank you for the updated information. I will look at those.

Kevin Bentz
KB Fabrications
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-03-2005 05:11
KB:
1.) No worries mate.
2.) 4130 is a Group 1B (Heat Treatable Alloy Steels) which is an easy test to past, at least they have been for me over the years. Will also qualify you for Group 1A steels.
3.) Many of the old military and aerospace drawings still have this referenced and I see this regularly with one of my clients (Boeing). May also be an original equipment specification as you noted indeed.
4.) Interesting work you do.
5.) Good luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help with a welding standard