Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Vacuum furnace stainless to nickel
- - By Vik Date 02-02-2005 18:26
Hi, I'm new in a plant where works with INCO718/CRES347 furnace brazing. How can I evaluate the brazeability of the filler metal AMS4777 (What kind of testing)? Is a metallographic inspection enough, after the braze?
Thanks in advance for your help
Parent - - By Bob Peaslee (*) Date 02-03-2005 23:49
Hi Vik 1. Am I correct in assuming that the brazing filler metal is a nickel base brazing filler metal?? If not what is it??
2. If nickel brazing filler metal I would suggest using a T specimen. two variables of the test must be separated. a) the brazing atmosphere and b) the flow properties of the filler metal.
To separate these two, each lot of the specific filler metal must be tested along with a standard lot that is used for all test of the same brazing filler metal - when the standard is identical each test, then the variable results are caused by the filler metal. The filler metal with a cement and powderer is placed on one side at one end of the inverted specimen.
The indicator of the results is the residue of the filler metal left at the point of application after the brazing cycle. Some filler metals are more fluid and have a narrow melting range, others that have wide melting ranges have a tendency to leave a residue. Part I
Parent - By Bob Peaslee (*) Date 02-03-2005 23:50
Part II
Thus each new lot must be tested against a master lot of the same brazing filler type.
If you wish to send me your e-mail address or mail address I can send a data sheet which primarily uses the T specimen to qualify the brazing atmosphere.
3. 347 brazes easily, however to have a good braze on Inco 728 it must first be blasted with our Nicroblast material or nickel plated with aprox. 0.0005 in. of Ni, or the Al & Ti oxidized during brazing and prevents flow of the filler metal . Click on my blue name above to see my address info.
Bob Peaslee
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Vacuum furnace stainless to nickel