Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help! Need help welding Titanium
- By Racefan Date 02-06-2005 08:00
Recently I have tasked to weld Titanium for an upcoming project but have never welded Titanium.
To date the "How to weld Titanium" research I've done has yielded ambiguous results with several technical sources having opposite opinions.
The first goal is to buy a TIG welder but don't know how much machine I need to buy.
The second goal is to buy the required "extras" needed to weld Titanium.
The material is Titanium tubing (both oval and round) ~ 1-1.25" diameter with wall thickness not to exceed 0.110. I have yet to define the "actual" type of Titanium but assume the welding method shouldn't vary excessively.
The application is building a wheelchair so the material (and welds) need to support not more than 250 lbs.
I've read that Titanium is excessively difficult to weld but I have no other option. No other material will work for the application so I have to learn several things all at once.
To top it off, this is a "garage" project so getting formal training and building an exotic setup is a financial impossibility.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you in advance.
God bless
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help! Need help welding Titanium