Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Both co2 and flux core
- - By tupper (*) Date 02-07-2005 02:02
i have a lincoln sp135t and i was wondering how much penitration you could get with both running flux core and co2.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-07-2005 03:01

Go with what the manufacture of the flux core wire stipulates...

If it's gasless FCAW than adding gas is not a good idea.. but there are a number of fillers to choose from.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 02-08-2005 02:53
The process your describing is dual shield, and it isn't bad but it wont add alot of penetration, only flow out for better fill and tie in.
Some FCAW doesn't allow for dual shielding, check the mfg specs. The normal max on that machine is going to be around 1/8" to 3/16" in a single pass.

Hope this helps,
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-08-2005 05:40
Hi pjseaman!

If I remember correctly, the AWS process designation is: FCAW-G...
Reference; AWS A3.0:2001, page 18, 2nd column under "Gas shielded Flux Cored Arc Welding... Hence, FCAW-G.
"A flux cored arc welding process variation in which the shielding gas is supplied through the gas nozzle, in addition to that obtained from the flux within the electrode."

"Dual Shield" is a brand name originally from "Alloy Rods" but, I understand what you're trying to say by using the term "dual shield"...
Meaning that the weld metal is being shielded by both the flux core and the shielding gas.

Since this is the AWS BBS Grand Central, I thought it was necessary to clarify the actual and correct description of the process you were describing.

Please do not take offense of my comments.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Both co2 and flux core