Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Over laying a wear area
- - By jer (**) Date 02-07-2005 19:23
I recently did a sample part where I was to add an overlay of a wear brazing rod to surface. I used an MG 130 FC rod and built up surface .090.
What I am wondering is there a material that I could use to make or (machine) a fixture that would follow outer shape of part. I thought then I could fill a lot of rod into area quickly.
Parent - By Bob Peaslee (*) Date 02-15-2005 17:35
Hi Jerry - What you are doing does work very well. Back in the middle 1940’s I invented the Nickel brazing filler metals based on the boron containing Colmonoy surfacing alloys. The original brazing filler metal was Nicrobraz 125, (BNi-1, AMS 4775). Now there is a series of the Nicrobraz Brazing filler metals.
Wall Colmonoy Corp. is a manufacturer of the nickel base surfacing filler metals specifically for surfacing. The materials are available in various hardness depending on the application requirements.
One of the original developments was the Colmonoy Spraywelder which sprays melted powder on a part with a subsequent torch or furnace fusing operation to obtain a smooth uniform surface which is metallurgically bonded to the base meats. On a round surface for example it finishes so smooth that it can be readily lathe machined. Visit www.wallcolmonoy.com for additional Colmonoy or brazing information. I think this is what you are looking for, a smooth putting on tool.
Bob Peaslee 248-585-6400 x240
Parent - - By agong (**) Date 02-16-2005 19:17
Hi Jerry,

How much overlay work you have to do? Gullco International has full automatic overlay systems for plate and pipe welding overlay (all position). Check www.gullco.com for more information.

Gong
Parent - By agong (**) Date 02-16-2005 19:22
Detail info:
http://www.gullco.com/products/indexer/indexer.htm
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Over laying a wear area