Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / new inspector
- - By - Date 02-12-2005 17:57
6 mos. cwi,icc structural steel/welding, icc reinforced concrete, aci field tech. been involved with dozen or so small projects and on site inspector for two schools, from slab to roof. I've enjoyed every day. Currently on state university 2-story. This ones been very frustrating
The steel was fab'd out of state. On first day of erection I spotted beams that weren't deburred. These were slip critical moment connections. I found 22 beams that needed holes and saw-cut edge deburred. I marked them and told the super. He got pissed, at me. "Why are you looking at steel that was already inspected", he asked. "Don't worry about it. Your name's not on it" And the beams were erected burrs and all. This was on a Friday. The IOR didn't work Fridays. Erection continued Saturday and by Monday the steel was up. Some of the shear plates still had painters tape as well as primer on them, on slip critical connections. The erectors kept saying "That should've been done at the fab shop. Their inspector accepted it. Don't worry, your name's not on it".And the project super backed them up. When it came time to pour the elevator walls, I was checking the rebar. The super ran me off. "Your here to inspect the steel. The electrician has already looked at the rebar. The plumber looked at it and I lokked at it" I was told. But I saw 6 inch lap splices in the wall and all in a row. Specs called for 18" min lap and all splices staggered 5'. When they formed up around the base plates for grout, the forms weren't high enough and there was voids between the grout and underside of the base plate. Again, the project super got pissed."It's not your job to inspected or sample the grout. Your here for structural steel" I can't believe the ethics of these people but what can I do? When the project is done my name will be on it. I can't look the other way and I can't just forget about it because "my name's not on it". I've been losing sleep over this. How do I handle this?
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 02-12-2005 19:40
There should be a forum just for venting. We would all use it from time to time.

First, if you are loosing sleep over this, you need to disconnect from it some how long enough to keep from totally losing it and saying or doing something on the job that would otherwise impugn your reputation. I’ve been there before.

Second, stay in your lane. As inspectors, documentation is the only thing we produce. Sounds like a lot of multi-tasking bloopers going on. Whatever specific task you were brought on to do, document and report the good and the bad. Somewhere there is an engineer or somebody that has the responsibility that this building stays up when finished. Your documentation is his eyes and ears.

Thirdly, use your chain of command to discuss you concerns. Be professional and business-like. Don’t be vague with your concerns; know what you are talking about. Do your research and know what specifications apply.

Good luck. As you know, not all projects are like this one.

Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-12-2005 20:19
I like the 1st line Donnie's reply.

Dustyhood:
1.) Only inspect what you have been requested to. Document any discrepencies or deviations as well as work that you find to be in compliance with the code/specifications.
2.) The IOR is responsible for the entire project, notify him/her of all deviations and note that in the reports as well (date, time, etc.).
3.) Don't be afraid to notify the engineer, most want to know about any problems.
4.) Many an inspector has been in your shoes, take some of the excellent pointers noted above. YOU are not responsible as long as you documented and notified the relevant parties.
5.) I quit doing DSA work back in 2001. Too much politics and too many not very enlightened contractors. Don't get me wrong, some really try to get it right, it's the ones who knowingly brush off problems.
6.) If you are pulling double duty and are checking steel & concrete, carefull not to accept workmanship or materials you could not examine while inspecting other trades, that will for sure fall back on you (by the contractor).
7.) One of the best recommendations above is to remain professional and don't be shy about contacting the designer, they have backed me in the past on all calls made for DSA projects. Just make sure you've done your homework before rejecting.

You've chosen a good profession, there not paying you prevailing wage for a cakewalk.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / new inspector