Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig soda can
- - By tupper (*) Date 02-13-2005 03:53
what does it take inorder to tig together soda cans.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-13-2005 05:39
OK I'll be the wise guy-
1- low amps
2- good eyes
3- really steady hands
Bill
Parent - By pgeweldor (*) Date 02-13-2005 14:18
And make sure they're empty
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 02-13-2005 16:25
I'll agree
1- low amps
2- good eyes
3- really steady hands

Just a little curious though, is this for art work, shop class or something along those lines? What are you doing?

Regards Donnie Mann
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-13-2005 17:29
This is something almost all TIG welders do (or attempt to do) in their lifetime. The truth is, not all welders can accomplish this. Many don't even know to remove the paint from the can. Even saw someone purging the can with Ar once. Didn't help.

I always tell them to wait until test day (RT), that is when it counts.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-13-2005 19:50
Tupper

Joining pop cans is great and inexpensive practice.

You need a GTAW power source with AC, preferably with balence control, a foot pedal and a 1/16 or 0.040 tungsten.

Rince the sugar (or beer) out of the can and poke one small whole in one of the hemispherical ends.

Butt the ends together on a grounded work table with something holding the cans in place.

You will learn alot about balance control, torch angle manipulation, cooling the puddle with rod, various tip preps and a number of other things by the time you master pop can welding.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-14-2005 12:44
Lawrence, don't forget you can also practice by cutting the can in half and standing it on the uncut end and placing a bead on the cut edge of a pop can, seems to be very challenging for most, even in the 1F position.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig soda can