Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI's?NDE's - that are not ,and are insp
- - By welderwizarwanb Date 02-13-2005 17:32

There is a growing concearn here in Puerto Rico about some Companies inspecting under the structural welding code (D1.1 ) and performing ASNT tests. "inspectors" / NDE personnel in the field that are not CWI's(the owner is , allegedly) or CAWI working under the supervision of a SCWI or CWI nor they have had the proper training in house that is required under QC1/ASNT. They lack the field expertise.
What it seems to be the case is as long as the inspection reports that are handed in "qualify the work" its "all good" , since its an "established known company", Thats where the quality control stops. It is so, that even when you talk to the personnell it seems they have little or no clue of the welding environment that is required of an inspector.(degrading the so hard profession)

What do you do ? we're here spending thousands of dollars(individually) to get the proper training and certifications and basically anyone here is put to the task (cheaper, very much cheaper)with no understanding what so ever. "just go inspect these welds", "heres a handy steel code book, read it and implement it" or here 's a NDE equipment (in matter of minutes training)
The sad part is that the contractor (well known companies) that hire these "Inspection /NDE" companies seem to look away.

Where would one begin? If we know, are we all responsible?Must an accident have to happen to shed the light on these serious faults?How do you deal with? No one at the seminar/nor in the codes prepare you for this much? Career change?

All this that I have exposed I know because I quit one of these companies after several months of noticing a lack of respect, loyalty and responsibility necessary to call one self an inspector
. (Im currently at McD's, inspecting burguer temperature =) ( transitional only, until they move me up to fridge inspection).<== willing to relocate.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 02-14-2005 14:05
What governing bodies exist in Puerto Rico? There must be some building official that may be turned to. If he (they) won't listen, I see little to turn the situation around. That is probably why the situation exists to begin with. With the right backing, sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur to expand into!
Parent - - By welderwizarwanb Date 02-15-2005 12:49
The biggest companies are Pharmaceuticals here, and they are governed by the FDA.They build to ASME, AWS, API and other codes and get audited before they are approved of what ever it is they are building. the rest of the edifications are constructed to the codes above but it is govern by the corrupted buildings/and construction permit office. So I guess I answered my concearn.

Ill try the local FDA office, see what they have to say.

thanks for the reply
cheers
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-15-2005 22:31
You are in a difficult position there. If the corruption is as you say then you are better off not being a part of it. I'm thinking that one of the reasons the pharmaceutical companies are building there is because it is cheaper than in the US; cheaper labor, lower taxes, little or no environmental issues, and cheaper building construction. Likely those who are making such decisions are banking (pun intended) on nothing catastrophic happening until it will be someone else's problem, and have no problem with their conscience because they haven't got one.

I like the saying "Time heals all wounds, and wounds all heels" meaning that eventually people get what they deserve. I also like another saying, "The squeaking wheel gets the grease; unless it squeaks too long and too loud. Then it gets replaced".

It sounds like you are making an effort to add professionalism and knowledge to the job. Please don't give up on that. I suggest applying gentle pressure in doing things right, but you already know that is not always easy. Try to always maintain your integrity in what you have control over and make sure your conscience doesn't keep you awake at night. But as far as changing everything quickly for the better, 'ain't gonna happen. It took time to become a problem and many powerful people like things the way they are. I suggest that you can do more good by being a good example of how to do your inspections without drawing a lot of attention to yourself. I won't seem like you are making a difference at first but before you know it others will see your methods and begin to do the same. Then good habits are formed.

Good luck ,
Chet Guilford
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 02-16-2005 16:40
Once again Chet, very well said!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI's?NDE's - that are not ,and are insp