Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stick arc performance
- - By rugg (*) Date 02-14-2005 17:07
i am not a pro; appreciate any comments. i recently stick welded plate to improve/repair a solid fuel forge. i used 6013 and the appropriate current (DCEN) for the rod. i found that there was very little room for error, as the arc did not cover both edges at times and therefore missed the joint. i found it not as easy to see the joint and the arc vs MIG or TIG. for much of what i did, there was good penetration and no bead porosity. i think that the joint preparation was fine. there was some edge irregularities(torch cut) in places. this is something that i have not had a problem with using MIG. i think part of my problem is experience, but i also think that limitations of the process is also contributing. thanks for the comments/advice.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-14-2005 18:15
Change the polarity to DCEP which is okay with the XX13. Grind the mill scale off all edges that will be part of the joint. About 120 to 140 amps with the 1/8" diameter electrode. If the gap is too great. weld one side then the other until the gap has narrowed to allow welding together without a lot of motion. The FYI the DCEN will provide shallow penetration and the DCEP will produce deeper penetration with the same amperage.
Parent - - By rugg (*) Date 02-15-2005 15:40
thanks for the comments. i have read that using AC results in a more stable arc, less ground path issues. is there any disadvantage in advancing the electrode away vs towards the welder? i think i would be able to see the arc and joint easier. thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-15-2005 18:58

The direction of travel is arbitrary as long as you keep a couple of things in mind;

1. E6013 requires a 10 to 20 degree drag travel angle. If you keep to this you can weld toward yourself, away from yourself or across your field of vision as comfort dictates. Here is a link with a good picture of the angle you should be using in the flat positon.
http://www.weldingengineer.com/1stick.htm

2. Rather than looking at the arc; look at the weld pool behind the arc. When your amperage, rod angle and travel speed are all correct you will see a round molten pool following behind your electrode, behind the pool you will see the molten slag forming, the line between the molten pool (shiney) and the slag (fluffy) ought to be round.. if it becomes V shaped you are traveling too fast or your rod angle has become too great. When you hear folks say "read the puddle" this is what they are talking about.

3. This relates to #2. Look only at the arc to judge your arc length (1/8 inch) or the diameter of your electrode. With a little practice you will be able to keep a consistant arc length without looking at the arc.
Parent - - By rugg (*) Date 02-16-2005 17:54
thanks for the reply. i will focus on the weld pool, something that appears easy using TIG vs stick. what are your comments on arc wander? some of the beads looks like this may have happened.
Parent - - By agong (**) Date 02-16-2005 18:55
Hi Rugg,

Arc wonder is also called Arc Blow. Please see http://archive.metalformingmagazine.com/2001/05/Lincoln.pdf

- You can try to maintain the arc length as short as possible to eliminate this problem.
By the way, check your shield screen. Use #9 shield screen for stick welding so you can see the arc, pool, and seam very well. #10 and up are for mig and flux-cored welding. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Gong
Parent - - By rugg (*) Date 02-17-2005 15:20
thanks, i was using #10. will try/practice this w/e. i also may have had too great an angle from verticle. you really need to stick your nose in there to see the joint/pool/arc.
Parent - By bobby1 (*) Date 08-21-2005 13:18
If your arc is wondering it sounds as if you have the stick to far from the work piece. Keep an 1/8 inch away and do not hurry the weld along. I use a number 10 shield and stick weld in so many different posistions that guys call me a contorsionist. the bottom line is the correct angle, speed , and heat is all that you can concentrate on any thing els would be a factor on the person doing the welding. Slow down breath and take the time to try and see if you can come up with a different stance and dont be afraid of mistakes this only helps you become more effiecient and comfortable in the task you do.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stick arc performance