Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG: Lincoln or Thermal Arc?
- - By dbeaman Date 02-14-2005 19:23
Hello,
I'm new to the list but have been welding (both stick and MIG) for a few years. I am looking into buying a TIG welder as my welding needs have expanded. The two machines I have been thinking about are the Lincoln Precision 185 and the Thermal Arc 185TSW. Both come in around 1800$ and are pretty much the max my budget will sustain at the moment. I was wondering what people's opinions are of these two welders and if anyone has any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-14-2005 19:44

If your going to be welding aluminum the Thermal arc offers AC frequency control that the Lincoln does not.

The Thermal Arc is smaller (due to being an inverter) and easier to move--or steal. The inverter may also allow for more flexability in power draw if your hooking up at home.

The Lincoln is no dog... Great machine, great support.

Miller also has a Dynasty 200, but that may be a little more spendy, you'll have to check.

Esab also makes little inverters..

Visit your local suppliers and find out about warrenty work, who can/will fix what.
Parent - - By Tinman Date 02-15-2005 21:19
dbeaman,

I have a Precision Tig 185 and it works great on alum.. You can adjust the wave balance in AC or put it in auto balance. Plus the pulser helps make some really nice welds on thin alum. All in all I think it's a really nice machine but it does weigh in at over 200 Lbs. so portable it's not.
Parent - - By dbeaman Date 02-15-2005 21:31
Thanks for the responses,
Portability is not really an issue for me at the moment and isn't really something that I'm factoring into the decision. I more so am concerned with the quality of the two machines and their ease of use. The Lincoln seems much easier as far as having fewer features. The Thermal Arc seems like it has more features but would take alot longer to learn how to use them all. So a question directed at those of you that are familiar with the Thermal Arc, do you use and need all the features it has? Has anyone used both machines and prefers one over the other?
Thanks again for the input,
Dan
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 02-16-2005 07:53
Hi Dan, there has been some dicussion on those over at:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG: Lincoln or Thermal Arc?