Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking at Buying Hobart 140 Handler
- - By Dale Date 02-15-2005 19:34
I'm considering buying a Hobart 140 Handler Mig welder. I have no experience with Hobart or this type of machine. Is this a good machine?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-15-2005 20:02

Dale,

Welcome to the forum!

As far as 110 Mig/Fcaw power sources go, Hobart Handler is as good as it gets.

All welders of this variety have some pretty severe limitations, but I believe that Hobart has top notch quality in this particular area.
Parent - - By tupper (*) Date 02-16-2005 02:21
Right now im running a lincoln sp 135 and its worked well for me. donk know what 5 amps on the top end makes a difference, but i do know that some of the internals are lesser hevy duty in the hobarts.
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 02-16-2005 07:42
It is a good machine in this class. Take a look over here:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-16-2005 12:11
I have a Handler 135 at home and have had it for several years, lots of projects welded with it. Many arc on hours without any hitches. Many #'s of FCAW wire have been run through that little machine. It has it's limitations, duty cycle, just plan to work within those limitations. Long continuous stringers at high output will make the little machine kick out and it won't weld until the thermal switch cools off. Keep these things in mind and it does all that it is advertised to do. If you need more machine, buy one, if not, this one will do fine.
John Wright

PS, Mine came with regulator and hoses, but I never have had a bottle hooked up, so I can't comment on it's GMAW qualities.
Parent - By Dale Date 02-17-2005 19:19
Thanks to all for your responses. Based on feedback received regarding limitations, I've decided to be on the safe side and go to the 180 Handler.
This should do about anything I will need to do. I will hang on to my Lincoln 225 arc welder just in case.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking at Buying Hobart 140 Handler