Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need help with welding leaf springs!
- - By metals406 Date 02-16-2005 23:05
Anyone ever weld on 5160 leaf springs. Have a little project, and want to avert trial period if I can. If you've welded on them before, your process wisdom would be invaluable:) Thanx
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-17-2005 01:05

What's your application?

5160 is not generally a first pick for weldments (relativly high carbon content)

This carbon-chromium grade of spring steel has a high yield/tensile strength ratio, excellent toughness and high ductility. It is very difficult to machine in the as-rolled condition and should be annealed prior to machining. It is not readily welded, but it can be welded by either the gas or arc welding processes if the section involved is preheated and stress relieved after welding.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/metalinfo.php

Now if your making swords you have the right stuff!

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/5160.asp
Parent - By owly Date 02-17-2005 03:03
It can be welded.... and proper procedure will increase the time before it breaks again....... It will break!!

H.W.

Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-17-2005 03:32
Vee groove both sides, double vee, tack weld run-on and run-off tabs. No arc strikes outside of the weld joint! Preheat to 500F. Weld with Super Missile Stick Rod (lotsa nickle), been a while so don't remember who makes it. Weld across and balance stresses both sides. Once totally welded, flame cut off the run-on run-off tabs and grind parallel with length of spring. All four surfaces. Grind it smooth. Used to weld up cultivator springs this way. Hope it helps.
Parent - By metals406 Date 02-17-2005 07:36
Your answers are right on with my frame of thinking. I pretty much know the "How-to's" of the 5160, but was serching for that "magic" process, you know the one where the old timer tells you "Do it this way young buckaroo. . . It's fast, easy, and works everytime!" You know the old guy that's done more with duck tape then you ever thought possible:) Nickel rod was a thought too. Anyway your posts are SUPER APPRECIATED! Thanx
Parent - By pgeweldor (*) Date 02-17-2005 11:19
Look in to Welco-Supermissleweld, Eutectic-680, Certanium-707. I think these are Vanadium-Moly electrodes. Hope it helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need help with welding leaf springs!