Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Innershield wire
- - By owly Date 02-17-2005 03:17
There used to be some really nice innershield wires out there. The current crop are uniformly miserable so far as I have seen. I remember running innershield wires years ago that flowed on nicely and left a good slag that flaked off nicely. Everything I have tried in recent years leaves a miserable slag that does not remove well, and tends to cling along the edge of the weld.
Esab Coreshield 8 was highly recommended to me..... but I don't much like it.... There's got to be something decent out there. .062 wire is about as big as I can push with my equipment unless I go to a semi automatic unit on my big CC welder.

It is useful to be able have something I can run outside when I have the need. Some of the dual shield wires are really nice to run, but they offer little other than ease of use, as they cannot be used in any wind at all. E7018 and E6010 seem to be the best wires for outdoors..... and they don't require any sort of feeder.

H.W.

Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 02-17-2005 13:07
If you are not doing structural code welding Lincoln NR-211 is a fair choice. It will run on a CC machine.
Corshield 8 is a very good wire CV only. Follow the manufactures recs. for voltage and amps closely, or you will have problems. When using Corshield 8 I like to have the included angle as open as possible for ease of slag removal. Be sure that you are running DCEN.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-17-2005 13:12

Owly,

Your description of hard to remove slag at the weld toes is common for some self shielded cored wires when they are run DCEP (reverse polarity).

Sometimes folks remove a roll of solid wire and put on a roll of Flux core, forgetting to change the polarity to DCEN (straight polarity).

Maybe it's a longshot but take a second look. That ESAB wire ought to run really well with the right parameters.

http://www.esabna.com/ESAB/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=1481&CATID=26
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 02-17-2005 13:22
Has anyone used Lincoln Pipeliner NR-207+ wire? Im looking for a good general purpose self shielded wire too... Im using an LN25 feeder with inershield gun and Ranger 305.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-17-2005 14:13
May it be emphasized, read the self shielded flux core wire's data sheets from the manufacturers. Some of these wires are single pass only, some multipass to 1 inch only, some are DCEN only, some are DCEP only, some are very sensitive to wire stick-out distances from the contact tube, some are very, very, very voltage sensitive and that means a CV output not a CC machine. High impact strengths usually find nickel in the mix and that is one element that requires voltage control. It is not a guy thing to read the directions but it may help.
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-17-2005 18:43
Owly,
Play with that coreshield 8 For a while, it will grow on you.
If you are doing general work and want to save a buck, try Fabshield 21B.
Jeff

SA200- How do you like your ranger305/LN25 ?
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 02-18-2005 02:21
SandMan, they work great! The 305 Ranger blows away the 3 Trailblazers i owned previously.
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-18-2005 03:05
SA,
Glad to hear it. I also have a Ranger 305 that I bought to lighten up my truck. It replaced a SAM-400. 1800lbs lighter.
Had some warranty issues with Lincoln, but eventually they were resolved.
I do mostly stick, but bought a LN-25, and really like it.
Way better arc than either a Trailblazer55 or Airpak.
Just thought I would like another opinion, as I know of no one else with this setup.
Jeff
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 02-18-2005 13:09
SandMan, a Sam400 is too big,hehehe. What was ur warranty issues? Mine just needed a new carburetor as Kohler had some defective ones. It is a great machine. My truck also carries a restored 1965 SA-200 as they're second to none for stick welding.
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-18-2005 19:06
SA,
Have to agree on th sa200, but they are kind of light for anything else.
My Ranger had a bad board that caused problems in cold temperatures.
Lincoln drug it out for a few months before we were able to get a good board. Since then the machine has been real good to me.
You can even do a respectable job with an Airarc, not bad for a machine with a lawnmower engine :)
Jeff
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 02-19-2005 02:44
SandMan, today i just happen to be airarcing with my 305,hehe. I do remember hearing about those boards that ended up with temperature sensitive components, they did correct the problem though. The 305 sure does burn low-hy and stainless rods about perfectly.
RC
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Innershield wire