Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding a possible die cast,need filler
- - By mfr777 Date 02-17-2005 06:44
I was trying to find out what the metal composition was on some
old automotive pieces I have been trying to repair.
The pieces I am trying to repair are for the classic and antique car market.
Auto manufactures made things like emblems, headlamp buckets, rear quarter panel extensions, interior switch bezels, and a lot more items out of this metal.
I was always told it was pot metal or pewter, but now that I have tried to take on the chore of repairing a few of these and to perfect it.
I have found a few materials that will mix with it, mainly one in particular.
I want to use the TIG process because it would make the repairs more rigid instead of soldering.
Just to give you an idea of heat range on the melting point,when
using the TIG process 4043 aluminum in smaller diameters like .035 MIG
wire seem to weld in with it but this metal melts before the the 4043 so I have to add support to keep the puddle from splashing away.
I also tried silver solder and it melts alot quicker than this metal.
The silver solder didn't fuse with this material like the 4043 did.
The actual repair was made with the 4043 and it was very rigid although difficult.
What I am needing is a filler material with a lower melting point than the 4043 with approximately the same composition.
It would help if I could find out the material data on this metal.
This actual piece is a headlamp bucket from the 69-70 Ford Mustang.
I am repairing a tab where the lower valance panel bolts to the headlamp bucket.
This tab is almost always broken or severely cracked and this is the reason I don't think soldering is a rigid enough repair for this stressed area. They don't make an after market replacement for the 70 and the reproduction 69 pieces don't have a good fit quality.
This metal I beleive is some type of die cast material.
I was guessing that the melting point on that metal was around 800 degrees.
I was looking at some material data on zinc die casts that have melting points of 700-900 degrees, they also had a range of 4-27% aluminum composition which might explain why 4043 would mix with it.
Is it possible this is what I am looking for and what are the chances of finding a filler rod or wire for this metal?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Parent - By pgeweldor (*) Date 02-17-2005 11:23
I used filler rod on white metal with GTAW made by Alladin. Weld it ACHF and weld it slow.That will help not burning the zinc. Hope it helps some.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-17-2005 12:03
Wasn't some of those cast parts, from the 60's era, "manganese"?
John Wright

Edit: "Magnesium", ...brain not functioning yet this morning
http://www.magnesium-elektron.com/about-magnesium.asp?ID=3
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-17-2005 14:31
Yes, Alladin 3 in 1 filler wire works great. Use a file and very carefully take off a thin very thin layer of oxide from all weld surfaces. Wipe clean with acetone. Use a square wave AC machine like the Miller Syncrowave 250 and set the AC Balance control to 100% Penetration. This is 68% time at negative. Sharpen a 1/16 inch or 0.040 inch Zirconiated tungsten to a 2X diameter point (absolutely no ball!). Set the machines amperage to 60-90 amps with 1/16 inch tungsten.
Strike an arc and you will see one of three colors, white is aluminum (the 6000 & 5000 series may have a slight green tint), green is magnesium and a purple arc will be zinc die cast ie pot metal, pewter or white metal as some call this stuff. That will then tell you what filler metal to use. The exact alloy is a guess.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding a possible die cast,need filler