Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grounding your welding Table
- - By Dale Date 02-17-2005 19:54
I recall reviewing a previous topic posted on this forum regarding electrical shock received from the material being welded and/or the welding table but I couldn't easily find the topic again. The suggestion made to address the shock problem as I recall was to ground the welding table to a ground rod to prevent current from drifting up if the welder should malfunction. Sounded like a good idea but I believe in the same response there was some reference to this possibly causing "other problems" not otherwise specified. Is grounding your welding table to a ground rod, necessary? a good idea? or something you shouldn't do?
I'm asking because the last time I was welding with my 225 Lincoln, I was "tickled" a little.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 02-18-2005 01:14
The conventional wisdom is that it should be grounded.

If the workpiece clamp is connected to a grounded table AND there is a bit of "voltage" leakage through the welder into the output leads then attaching the leads to a grounded table bleeds off the leakage. Note that such leakages are usually high-impedance leakage which means they can't supply much current so they will drain off without blowing the breaker. These leakages can give you a tingle.

A possible problem with a grounded table is that you now have a large item at ground potential that you are very likely to come in contact with. Now consider a welder that has a significant fault in it such that the workleads have a connection to the line supply voltage. You touch one of the leads - nothing happens since you have dry boots on. Now, you lean against the grounded table - zap!. If the table wasn't grounded you wouldn't have received a shock.

Overall, it is like, as has been mentioned, the seatbelt argument. Sure some times the seatbelt will be the culprit but the vast majority of times it is the safer way.

If you have a stick welder and you touch the stick and the workpiece clamp you will feel a tickle with bare skin or wet gloves since the OCV is about 80V. Note that the welder will work whether or not the table is at ground potential.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grounding your welding Table