Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / d 1.5
- - By jimwelds (**) Date 02-17-2005 23:11
For bridge welding I believe d 1.5 cover bridge work. Could you please explain the procedure for take this test, please. Thanks Jim
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 02-21-2005 13:48
Much like D1.1, it covers many different processes and positions. More strict in tools allowed to clean welds during test though. What specifically are you interested in?
Parent - - By jimwelds (**) Date 02-22-2005 18:38
Who D1.1 clean is chip hammer and wire hand. D1.5 clean with rock?? Would you know a excellence book for building and welding steel bridges.
Thanks You, Jim
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 02-22-2005 20:42
Since we don't do bridge building here, the most recent code in my library is 1996. I don't think this has changed though. My D1.5 specifically limits cleaning to hand chipping hammer and brushing (see D1.5, 5.21.5 - no grinders, needle guns or air chippers, etc.), while D1.1 does not limit use of a grinder or air tools. Our own in-house welder qualification does however. I do not want to administer grinding tests. But, since a grinder is allowed during production welding, I do not say the grinder is completely prohibited, but I want to see what they are grinding on. Yes, that makes the qualification test a bit more subjective, but so what. I am trying to see if a welder is capable of welding, not repair globs. If it is globs are due to poor welding, thats it. No cert. until more practice or training. But it if is an occasional need to blend a bead, then I permit that. But no put in a pass in, grind it out, put another pass in, grind it out. Seen welders try that and I do not accept that. I do not feel that is the intention of the code even though specific verbiage does not restrict it.

Since I have not been involved in bridge building for a decade, I can't comment on the books. D1.5 would obviously be a good guide. I think the latest edition is somewhere around 2002.
Parent - By jimwelds (**) Date 02-23-2005 00:23
Tanks THCQCI for your quick reply Regards Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / d 1.5