Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN-25 feeding aluminum
- - By tjbutler (*) Date 02-18-2005 15:03
Does anyone have any experience using an LN-25 with aluminum. I had my first close encounter trying it last night but came up empty. I was trying to feed .035 4035 with a 'V' groove drive roll(for solid wire). It was a 12' gun line with a teflon liner. It would bird nest on my.

Does the 'U' groove drive roll and teflon wire guides make a big difference?

Would it help if I tried some of that wire cleaner/lube swab that hangs from the wire just before it enters the drive system?

Lincoln makes a complete clutch roll drive package for aluminum for the LN-25? It's kind of pricey. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

TJ Butler
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-18-2005 16:04

0.035 is gonna be next to impossible to push through a standard mig cable even with teflon and U rollers.

0.045--3/64 stands a better chance to be pushed through your teflon liner...

If you can change to 5356 filler try that.. it is stiffer

Keep your cables as straight as possible

Pressure on your rollers should be lighter than with steel
Parent - By OSUtigger (**) Date 02-18-2005 16:08
TJ,

While I haven't had any experience with a LN-25 on aluminum, I was once required to use a little miller fluxcore hobby machine to do aluminum welds, and here is what I was told would help:

1) Use 5356, as it is stiffer and will be less likely to collapse as it is being pushed

2) Use a size larger tip to keep the aluminium from expanding and galling up inside of the tip

3) The shorter the gun line, the better. That teflon liner will help a little, but 12 foot is a long way to push aluminum.

We did not change drive rolls, and that may help keep from deforming the al. All that said, I had very little luck obtaining quality welds (the welds I was able to get down were in between many, many birdnests). Fortunately, they were not critical and all that was necessary was a "glue" to keep vibrations to a minimum. When I have used the LN, it was, however, a far superior machine, and I would not doubt that you will have better luck than I did once you figure out parameters.

HTH,
G. L.
Parent - - By agong (**) Date 02-18-2005 16:39
Hi TJ,

First, do not try anything to “clean/lub” Al wire. It will contaminate the wire. Second, you have to change the drive rolls to U groove, V groove is for solid steel wire only. Aluminum is softer than steel, V groove will damage aluminum wire surface causes bird nest or other quality problem.
Recommendation for Aluminum welding set up: a). U drive rolls (KP654-035A Drive Roll Kit - .035" (0.9mm) Aluminum Wire, much cheaper than clutched ones), b). Teflon liner, c) contact tip (I don’t remember the part number, the diameter is bigger than that for steel, but you can use 045’’ normal tip for 035’’ aluminum wire, it works).
Try WFS 500-550 ipm, 21-22V, half inch stick out, lead angle (left hand direction).
By the way, what’s the 4035? I don’t know this wire, I know 4043 and 4047.
You will get there for sure.

Good luck!

Gong
Parent - - By tjbutler (*) Date 02-18-2005 18:39
Actually I meant 4043. I got confused. I really appreciate all of the advice. I have ordered the 'U' grooved drive roll and will try that when it comes in.

Thanks a lot!
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 02-19-2005 02:54
3/64 is the smallest wire you should use. 10ft 300 or 400 amp gun. And try to keep the gun cable straight as possible and bend it gradually when u have to.
Parent - By SLowChild (*) Date 02-25-2005 02:50
Spool Gun? Them bird nests make ya cuss don't they?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN-25 feeding aluminum